Chapter 54

Rose blocked yet another of Oshka's punches as she slid back a few feet, a shallow pant starting to take over her breathing.

Oshka: Pathetic, but I guess that's what happens when one's father is a worthless Vulpine.

Rose thrusted her sword at her, Oshka having sidestepped out of the way.

Rose: My father isn't worthless! If anyone's parent was worthless it's yours, considering that they're dead!

Oshka's expression twisted into a scowl upon hearing Rose say that.

Oshka: You'll die for that!

Oshka rushed in with another punch, Rose having braced herself this time. When Oshka's punch made contact with Rose's shield, Rose had given her block everything she had to not be forced backward again. Before Oshka could move Leon had already come in from the right side and thrust his spear at her, without enough time to react Oshka's side was pierced by his spear. Oshka let out a pained scream as she instinctively jumped away from the two of them.

Just then the shattering of glass could be heard coming from the camp, the scowl on Oshka's face deepening. Before Rose or Leon could attack her again, she took off away from them. When Rose went to give chase Leon put his hand on her arm to stop her.

Leon: Don't, she will almost certainly run us into a trap if we follow her.

Rose: But...

Leon shook his head.

Leon: We know the direction she ran in, let's focus on helping the others before we go chasing her.

Rose simply gave a weary sigh before falling back into a sitting position. Not long after that Leiko's group came into view.

Azur: What happened?

Leon: They are just asleep, Oshka had made a large sigil that she used to cast a spell but as she did Maria had given me something that protected Rose and me from the effect.

Knowing that Varna began going around and releasing each of them from the effects of the magic.

Varna: Do we know where she ran off to?

Leon pointed to the northeast.

Leon: She went that way.

Leiko: That should be the direction of Zenkoh's and Thorn's warbands, and since they haven't gotten here yet we can only hope they cut her retreat off.

After several minutes Varna had removed the effect of Oshka's spell from everyone that was affected.

Mu: We need to get marching, that way she can't retreat in this direction if she does run into Zenkoh and the others.

With that, they had begun marching after Oshka to prevent any chance she had of retreat.

***

Thorn: Feraga, do you see anything?

Feraga was up in a tree scanning the forest to the best of her ability.

Feraga: I think I see something! It's a black Gnoll I don't recognize! They seem to be running.

Thorn: That would have to be her then!

Feraga pulled her greatbow off her back and nocked an arrow, taking aim at the running Gnoll. After a moment she had steadied her aim and loosed the arrow, flying true the arrow hit its mark. Feraga watched as the Gnoll stumbled as the arrow embedded itself into their shoulder. After confirming that hit she climbed down.

Feraga: Let's go! She won't be there for long.

***

Oshka had just picked herself up off the ground and removed the large arrow that was impaled into her left shoulder. She had to hurry, if she could just make it to the circle then she would be fine. With that thought she pushed herself to keep going, the only thoughts in her mind at this point being to make it to the circle and to give the other clans what they deserve.