Chapter 38

Leon was on his way to find Irya, Maria said she had been last seen around the armory. As he got closer he could hear the telltale clangs of a blacksmith's hammer on metal, Sidra had set up her blacksmith's forge near the armory since it made it easier to store what she made. As he was getting closer and the clangs were getting louder he saw Irya leave the armory and enter the hallway. He waved at her to try to get her attention.

Leon: Hey, Irya!

After a moment she noticed him and made her way down the hallway to where he was standing.

Irya: Yes, Leon?

The clanging of Sidra's work made it slightly difficult to hear her.

Leon: Maybe we should go somewhere a little quieter?

After a few seconds, Irya nodded.

Irya: Right, it is a little difficult to hear as close as we are to where Sidra does her work.

Leon motioned for her to follow him down the hall. Once they were far enough away that the clangs of metal on metal were little more than a distant noise they resumed their conversation.

Leon: So, like I was trying to ask earlier, I would like to know if you could help Sessa with her training. I have taught her what I can when it comes to using a rapier but you are a lot better at it than me.

Irya: Sessa? Oh, right! That was one of the Gnoll children sent over by Zenkoh, correct?

Leon gave a nod.

Leon: That would be right.

Irya put her hand to her chin in thought.

Irya: I don't see why not, we could use everyone who can fight at this point.

Leon: Thank you, Irya. She will be on her way out to the practice field in a little while, if you could meet us there that would be great.

Irya: Yeah, I can do that. I'll be there when I finish what I was doing.

Leon gave one final nod before starting to go back the way he came.

Leon: Perfect. I'll see you there.

As he left Leon realized that he was going to have to get Sessa responsive to the idea of someone other than him teaching her. He sighed.

Leon: I sure hope this won't be too painful of a process.

As he mumbled to himself he navigated his way through the halls on his way to the practice field.

Sessa was confused, Leon had never been late to training before.

Vuth: Maybe he won't show up and we can do something else.

Sessa: I doubt it, this isn't like him. I'm sure he will show up soon.

Vuth simply shrugged.

Vuth: I mean, maybe. But like you said, this isn't normal.

Before Sessa could say anything in response she saw Leon coming from the direction of the armory. He was in a hurry, likely aware that he was late.

Sessa: See! Like I said, he would show up.

Vuth sighed, so much for no training today.

Leon: Sorry I'm late! I had someone I needed to talk to.

Once he had reached Sessa and Vuth in the middle of the training yard, he was slightly out of breath for a moment as he hunched over breathing a little heavily. How much of a hurry had he been in?

Leon: Okay, let's get training started for the day!

As they started to make their way over to the training dummies, Sessa saw a black Kobold make their way out to where they were. Sessa had seen this Kobold a few different times, she was pretty sure that she had seen the Kobold talking with Mu and a few of the other guards before. What would she be doing out here?

Irya: Sorry it took me so long, Leon.

Leon: It's fine. So, are you ready?

Irya: Yeah, as ready as I am going to be.

Both Sessa and Vuth had a questioning look on their faces.

Leon: Right. Sessa, Irya here is going to be taking over your training for now as she is more proficient with a rapier than I am.

Sessa: What?

Vuth: For real?

Leon: Yes, for real.

Sessa had an apprehensive look when he said that.

Leon's features softened.

Leon: Sessa, you will be fine. I promise you that Irya knows what she is doing.

After a tense moment, Sessa nodded.

Leon: Right, Vuth, you're with me.

Vuth gave a mildly irritated look to her sister.

Vuth: Yeah, yeah, I'm coming.

Vuth went with Leon over to the training dummies while Sessa stayed in the middle of the practice field with Irya.

In the middle of her forest camp, Oshka was in the middle of looking over the map she had. She had been furious that Leiko had failed to kill the Catfolk helping Clan Deadfang, as not only did he fail to do that but the magic circles under Fort Stoneholde had also been found and destroyed. She was too busy trying to find a Gnoll burial ground that wasn't being guarded to worry about anything else, she needed to get her numbers back up.

As she was doing this she heard rustling behind her. As she turned around she saw a Gnoll scout had just wandered into her camp, most likely from Clan Deadfang. She saw the look in their eyes as they realized what they had found, before they could do anything Oshka was already on top of them. She struck out with her right claw, gouging the gnoll across the throat. The Gnoll frantically tried to get the wound to stop bleeding as they gasped for breath as the wound made it impossible for them to breathe properly. Oshka then quickly grabbed them by their muzzle and made a quick powerful movement, forcing their head to the side and causing a loud pop as their neck snapped.

She dropped the body to the ground, she was going to need to pick up her camp and find somewhere else to set up.