Chapter 37

Maria left the training yard and was making her way towards the kitchen area as Leon said that was the last place he had seen Rose. As she got closer Maria could hear talking but she couldn't make out what was being said. She hoped that Rose and Purth weren't at each other's throats. When she opened the door to the kitchen she could see Rose forming the crust of a meat pie while Riya and Purth were on the other side of the kitchen. Maria sighed in relief at what she saw.

Riya: Oh, hello Maria.

When Riya said this Purth turned around to see who Riya was talking to.

Purth: Ah, just who I was waiting for.

Maria: Leon mentioned that you wanted to see me about something.

Purth made her way from where she was standing over to where Maria was.

Purth: Yes. I was hoping you would be able to show me how to deal with Gnoll's Bane using magic as well as how to make the antidote.

Maria: Then that means that Ushka made it to the citadel?

Purth nodded.

Purth: Indeed she did, that is why I am here. Zenkoh wants as many as possible to be able to deal with the poison so that the impact of it can be minimized.

Maria: Then let's go, I can show you how to make the antidote first since I was getting ready to make a batch anyway.

As the two of them started to make their way down the hallway toward the medical ward, Maria looked over her shoulder at Purth.

Maria: I hope you can handle Catnip okay.

Purth had a bemused look on her face, why would she need to be able to handle Catnip? She got her answer as they got closer to the medical ward and she could begin to smell the faint smell of Catnip, Purth wrinkled her snout in disgust. She had never cared for the smell.

Purth: From the smell I am going to guess that Catnip is one of the ingredients needed to make the antidote.

Maria: That would be correct.

A few moments later they had reached the medical ward. While Purth was looking around she saw Feraga in one of the beds, when she got a little closer to see what was wrong she could see that Feraga's face was badly swollen. Purth's eyes were wide with shock.

Purth: Sister, what happened to you?

Feraga looked to her left to see who was talking to her, she saw her Sister Purth.

Feraga: Oh, hello sister. My face is like this because I fell in a patch of Wolf Roses.

The concerned look on Purth's face remained.

Purth: Are you going to be okay?

Feraga nodded.

Feraga: Maria said that it should pass in a day or two, that it looked worse than it was.

Purth hesitated before finally nodding.

Purth: Get better soon then.

After she said this she made her way over to where Maria was, at a table in the far back gathering up the ingredients needed to make the antidote for Gnoll's Bane.

Purth: Is there a reason you are back here?

Maria: Yes, so that way if I screw up I'm the only one that I have to worry about.

Once she had finished gathering everything up so that she could make the antidote Maria turned to look at Purth.

Maria: First, you need to use a mortar and pestle to grind up Wolf Rose, Phantom Lotus, and Catnip into a fine powder.

As she is explaining this she is using the mortar and pestle to do exactly that.

Maria: Next you would need to combine this mixture with water, you have to make sure that it combines completely.

Purth raises her eyebrow.

Purth: That's it?

Maria: That's it. The problem isn't making it, it's getting a hold of all of the ingredients.

As she finishes her explanation she combines the powder with a canteen full of water.

Maria: There! Now we have some on hand and you know how to make it.

Purth: Right, now about the other part.

Maria: You're talking about how to deal with it using magic, yes?

Purth: That would be correct.

Out in the training yard, Sessa and Vuth had just finished their training for the day when Rose came to the practice field from the direction of the kitchen.

Rose: Oh, are they done training?

Leon: Yes. Did you need something, Rose?

Rose: I just wanted a chance to spend time with you before it got too late.

Leon: And what did you want to do exactly?

As he asked his question he had a slight chuckle to his voice.

Rose: Training of course!

She had an excited look in her eyes as she told him what she wanted to do.

Leon shook his head.

Leon: Of course! Why did I even need to ask?

Leon went over to the weapon rack and put his training spear up.

Leon: How about we work on hand-to-hand combat?

Not long after, Riya had come out of the kitchen to see what Rose was doing. When she got to the practice field she could see Rose and Leon sparring using no weapons. As she got closer to say something she watched as Leon used Rose's size and weight against her when she overextended to try to grab him, he slid through her legs and as his hands passed her feet he grabbed her ankles and yanked out and up as he stood up behind her. This caused her to lose her balance and fall on her face.

Rose: No fair! Being smaller than me allows you to do things I can't do!

Leon: And you being bigger and stronger than me makes everything harder for me, so it's fair.

Riya giggled at the interaction. She was glad that after what happened at the citadel, things were returning to as normal as they could be with the threat of the Witherlings and that Black-furred Gnoll.