Chapter 19 - Combat Training (1)

The next morning, I woke up at an ungodly time and brought my gun and sword to the eastern training grounds. Once I got there, I looked around curiously. I was in an open field a bit larger than the size of a football field at the edge of a forested area. The field was surrounded by a large black track that eventually led into the forest.

At the center of the field, Professor Rebecca Lee stood dressed in a skintight black body suit with her short hair held back by a black sweatband. In her hand was a long spear and to her left and right sat two gigantic black wolves with blue and red gems on their forehead.

As she spotted me walking over, she snorted.

"It's 4:02, you're late."

"...sorry" I immediately apologized.

"That's fine, just don't do it again. Let's get started. As a warm-up, go run 15 laps. I'll be timing you and little red and little blue here will make sure you're properly running for your life." She patted the heads of the two wolves before smiling at me. It was not a pleasant smile.

"Get to it."

"Yes ma'am." I nodded before going to place my weapon down.

"What are you doing?"

"Pardon?"

"Run with your weapons in your hands. Do you think you can just place them down and come back to retrieve them in a dungeon or when you're getting attacked? Hold on to it and run." She coldly ordered.

"....got it."

Although it made sense, I was still resentful at having to run with the weapons. Thankfully, both weapons were light and small so it wasn't too cumbersome.

I quickly stretched before starting off in a slow jog. Suddenly, I heard a howl behind me before feeling a sharp pain in my ankles.

I glanced back and noticed the wolf with the blue gem lightly trotting behind me while the one with the red gem bit my ankles before displaying a mouth full of large teeth.

"I said run not jog! If you don't speed up, I've permitted them to attack you as hard as possible without crippling you. And don't worry, I'll heal you up before we properly start training. The first potion is on me." Professor Lee yelled out.

As my ankles got nipped again, I picked up speed until I was almost sprinting. As I completed the first lap, I could feel my sides begin to hurt as my breath started coming out rougher. By the second lap, my legs started to ache and my hands were sweaty and cramping from having to hold the weapons. By the third lap, I felt exhausted but the moment I slowed down again, I felt something swipe at my back and I tumbled to the floor. Somehow I managed to hold onto the weapons but the air got knocked out of me as a heavy paw smacked my stomach again.

Awooooooo!

Another heavy paw rolled my body around and I could feel a large cold nose digging into my neck and the warm, musky smell wafted over me causing me to gag.

"Get away from me," I grumbled while shoving the large blue-eyed animal away. It backed off temporarily while panting in laughter before smacking my chest with its large paw once more.

"3 Seconds before I order them to bite!" The professor began.

"3!"

"2!"

"I'm up!" I shouted as I dragged my body up. I began to run again and the cycle repeated itself. A wolf would nip me. One would knock me over. And I would have to try to get up quickly and run again before one of the wolves tried to stand on me.

By the time I finished my 15 laps, I could see the sun began to poke through the trees. Unable to breathe, I collapsed to the ground before Professor Lee and gasped for air.