Chapter 26 - First Dungeon (5)

Central Tower on the Island

"As expected, the 9 clan bastards are doing pretty good." A raspy voice spoke out into the silence.

Robin was seated at a window at the top of the central tower on the island, his legs hanging out as his sharp eyes took in the events happening throughout the island.

Evelynn Isolde was freezing a large section of the river and massacring any monster or beast that dared to come near it.

Julius Crimson was indiscriminately burning large swathes of the forest as he walked through, incinerating the enraged monsters that attacked him.

Lionel Lionheart, surrounded by a fierce golden aura, each swing of his sword decapitating many beasts from the horde charging at him in the grasslands.

Many other students were battling as well but his gaze kept going to the students whose battling prowess exceeded common sense.

Swallow turned from the multiple screens of drone footage she was watching to look at the man dressed in red before adjusting her goggles on top of her head while flaring her wings.

"You shouldn't call them that." She cautioned him.

"Why? It's not as if anybody would hear it." Robin retorted before tilting his head backward at an unnatural angle and smiling sharply, "You don't care what I call those damn brats, right Captain Merlin?"

"I have no opinion. I'm just here to do my assigned job." The robed person replied in a monotone voice. "It seems some students got trapped in the spider lair. I'll go get them if you prepare the portal to send them back to the academy."

"Wait. I'll fly us over to save you some energy." Swallow told Captain Merlin before walking over.

As she got directly behind Captain Merlin, her arm quickly darted forward as she wrapped her arm around Captain Merlin's neck. Grabbing her knife, she immediately sliced across the throat. The knife bounced off a barrier, and as Swallow began struggling to restrain Captain Merlin, her wings flared out for support, the hood of the robe came off exposing a shock of gray hair and brown skin. Tightening her grip around Captain Merlin's throat, Swallow wrapped her knife in mana and slashed at the throat again but before it was deflected by an arm as Captain Merlin smashed the back of her head into her face, breaking her nose.

"Argh!" Swallow screamed as blood began streaming down and her eyes began watering

Clutching her bleeding arm, Captain Merlin cried for help, "Robin, help me, she's gone fucking cra-"

Robin immediately clamped a hand over Captain Merlin's mouth, sinking his sword into her stomach and slicing upwards before pulling out the blade and slashing her neck for good measure. As the blood splattered across him and her body slowly fell to the floor with an expression of betrayal, he gave her an expressionless look.

"Why?" Captain Merlin's voice gurgled before her body fell still.

"For Survival." Swallow whispered as she began resetting her nose and drinking a potion.

"For Survival." Robin echoed before grabbing the body and dragging it into a corner, a streak of blood trailing after him.

Glancing at the healing face of Swallow, he ordered, "Do better next time."

"My bad."

He pulled a device from his pocket and pressed a button before attaching it to the wall. The device emitted a strong light before an invisible shield of mana expanded from the tower and slowly surrounded the entire island.

"Well, that should do it. The barrier should stop all outside portaling and interference until we're done. It will slowly begin stopping the outside transmission of footage as well" He dusted his hands off.