Sinking Ship

Maya pulled out her phone to check the time. 6:30am. Crap. She'd been in the bathroom longer than she thought. She was supposed to be at Riley's in 15 minutes. She burst out of the bathroom and quickly walked towards the exit. The woman behind the register took one look at Maya's tear-streaked, red face and sighed.

"I'm really sorry, sweetheart," she said quietly. Maya stopped walking and turned towards her. Had she made it that obvious?

"Uh, yeah," Maya squeaked.

"You headed to school now?" the woman asked.

"Yeah," Maya replied.

"You better get yourself steadied, sweetheart. They're gonna know something's up," she told Maya softly. Maya felt teary again as she wiped her face and tried to hide her embarrassment about crying in front of a stranger.

"Thanks," Maya said, and with that she walked out the door and onto the cold, familiar street.

She tried to walk as fast as she could, but her reluctance to get where she was going slowed her down. Maya wouldn't tell Riley. Not today, not tomorrow, and probably not for a few days after that. She was too embarrassed and afraid right now to tell anyone. She figured she had a good 8 weeks before it would get really obvious. Until then, she would just act like nothing ever happened. She would act like she didn't get pregnant the first time she ever had sex and her life was falling apart before her eyes. She didn't feel sick or faint or fat like she thought she would. She would never have guessed she was pregnant if her period hadn't been late. Maya felt her lack of symptoms would only help her pretend that nothing ever happened and she didn't have a person growing inside her.

"Come on, come on, come on! You're late! Today of all days you're late!" Riley exclaimed as she buzzed Maya in. Maya stared at Riley's door, gave her nose one last wipe, cleared her throat one last time and knocked once.

"Everything is fine. Who, me? No, there's nothing going on with me," Maya rehearsed in her head in case anyone noticed she was not herself this morning. She didn't need to defend her mood though, because it seemed Riley had enough drama to cover for her.

"Lucas text me last night!" Riley squealed as the two stepped out of the apartment building.

"So?" Maya responded, sounding more bored than she intended.

"So? So?! So he put a kiss at the end of the message! Can you believe it? He's never done that before! Maybe he wants us to become boyfriend and girlfriend again! What do you think! Oh, I really can't wait to see him today!"

Maya felt a bit sick. She was finding it hard to push past her misdirected anger towards Riley and act supportive.

"Yeah, you know, maybe. You'll have to wait until you see him, I guess," Maya told Riley.

They stepped onto the subway. Well, Maya stepped. Riley leaped. As soon as she saw Lucas, she hurried over and began a conversation. Maya felt a wave of nausea again as she watched them talking and laughing. Maybe it wasn't too early for morning sickness to start.

Maya left Riley and Lucas alone for the duration of the journey to school. Riley got off the train first, followed by Lucas. He saw Maya and smiled.

"Mornin'" he said happily.

"What up, Huckelberry," Maya replied in a very deadpan voice.

Riley talked Maya's ear off all the way to class. She finally had to shut up when her dad walked in. He announced that they would be learning about the sinking of the Titanic, and for once, they did. Maya felt herself falling asleep, but something Mr. Matthews said caught her attention.

"He made a mistake. A very serious mistake. Captain Edward Smith and his crew ignored iceberg warnings, so the ship sunk. Their mistake killed 1,517 people. It separated families and left children orphaned. All because they didn't listen to the warnings."

Maya couldn't understand how he managed to relate a lesson to her life without even knowing it. She still didn't feel very well. She wanted to get up and leave, but that would draw too much attention. Attention was the last thing she needed.

When school finally ended, Maya told Riley she was going to go home instead of going to Riley's.

"But you always come to my house after school," Riley said, puzzled.

"I guess I'm just looking to get home today," Maya answered vaguely.

"Oh, come on. You've been weird all day. I saw you in dad's class today. You were awake," Riley said.

"Well excuse me for trying to learn something," Maya retorted.

"We're going shopping. That'll cheer you up for sure," Riley announced.

Maya had no option. Riley insisted. Maya felt drained after the day. She hadn't slept all night, she only just found out about this whole baby thing and now she was being forced to go to the mall.

"Dammit," she thought. "What if he's there too?" Seeing the father of her baby was really the last thing she needed today.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

A/N: So this is the second chapter! Let me know what you think! I might post another one tonight if you guys want. Leave a comment!