Crackers & Ginger Ale

10 weeks pregnant

It was Saturday, around 11. Maya had been throwing up all night and was exhausted. She laid on her bed in her favorite pink pajama shorts Riley gave her for her birthday and an over-sized t-shirt from a concert she went to last year. She felt horrible. Yes, she felt less nauseous than she did last night, but she still felt ill. Everything was making her feel ill. The fact that her mom hadn't even noticed how strange she was acting lately, the fact that Riley had noticed and hadn't completely dropped the subject since movie night, the fact that Farkle kept looking at her with these big sympathy-filled eyes all the time.

Coincidentally, just as Maya thought of Farkle, she heard a knock at the door. She groaned, hoping it wouldn't be Riley. She pulled open the door and saw Farkle saw Farkle standing there, holding a large brown paper bag.

"Farkle, what are you doing here? Not that I'm not overjoyed to see you, but it is Saturday and I was sot of enjoying doing nothing and seeing no one," Maya said with a yawn,

"Sorry to drop by unexpectedly," said Farkle as he pushed past Maya and sat down on her couch. "But I knew if I texted first you wouldn't let me," he finished.

"How very true," Maya answered, annoyed by this unexpected visit.

"So, am I still the only one who knows about the pregnancy?" Farkle asked.

"Yup," Maya replied.

"Darn. Well, no matter, I figured that anyway. That's why I brought supplies," he said, holding up his brown bag. Then he gasped and covered his mouth. "Your mom's not here, is she?!" he exclaimed.

"No, she won't be back for hours. She's at work," Maya told him.

"Phew. So before I give you this stuff, we need to talk through some of the facts. The way I see it, making sure you take care of yourself is my job now," he explained.

"That's great Farkle, but I can take care of myself," Maya said, a little insulted.

"Oh is that right? Okay, have you been to the doctor yet? Are you taking prenatal vitamins? Do you know how far along you are?" he asked.

"No, no, and not really," Maya admitted.

"Exactly. That's what I'm here for. So," Farkle whipped out a notebook and a pen. "Do you know the date of conception?" he said.

Maya stared at him blankly.

"Do you know what date you had sex?" he said clearer.

"Jeez, Farkle, we're not talking about this," Maya said, disgusted.

"It's better if you have your dates straight before you go to the doctor," he replied casually.

"Fine. It was August 3rd," Maya said reluctantly.

"Are you sure that's the exact date?" Farkle questioned.

"Yeah, that's the date," Maya muttered.

Farkle started writing in his notebook and then looked up again.

"And the date of your last period before you the conception?" he asked.

Maya felt her face redden. She thought about not answering, but she tried to tell herself that he was only trying to help and she might as well humor him.

"Probably around July 21st," Maya guessed.

Farkle started writing again and for a while this time. Maya played with her hair and tried to seem like she wasn't painfully uncomfortable with this entire conversation.

"So you're about 10 weeks pregnant," he told her after staring at his notebook for a good 5 minutes.

"Awesome, are we done?" Maya said.

"Nope. Do you know the name of your mom's OB/GYN?" Farkle asked.

"Ew, no," Maya responded.

"Fine, we'll just have to look one up then. That'll be easy. Now, you have three options. One: You tell your mom or Riley and her mom and they go with you. Two: You tell the father and he goes with you. Three: You don't tell anyone and take me with you. I won't go in with you, but you're not going by yourself. It's up to you," Farkle explained.

"Farkle, you're not in charge of me. I can do whatever I want," Maya said, feeling her temper rise.

"No, Maya. You can't do whatever you want. You lost that right on August 3rd when you became responsible for another human being. It's not about you anymore. I'm not doing this for you. I'm doing this for you, I'm doing this for your baby," Farkle told her.

Maya stood up and ran to her room, locking the door behind her. She hadn't been thinking about the fact that there was an actual person inside her. She considered this whole thing and inconvenience to her more than anything else. She sat on her bedroom floor and squeezed her fists. She felt the same fear she felt on the floor of the drugstore bathroom 4 weeks ago. Farkle knocked on her door but she couldn't answer. She felt like she couldn't even breathe. She sat there for 15 minutes before she opened the door for Farkle. He came in and sat on her bed. He had the bag with him.

"You're coming to the doctor with me," Maya stated.

"Okay. I'm sorry Maya. I didn't mean to upset you. Here, I still need to give you your stuff," he said. He pulled out a box of crackers and a bottle of ginger ale. He handed them to Maya.

"To settle your stomach in the morning," he said.

Next he took out a book titled "A Guide to Pregnancy for First Time Parents".

"I know you're not a big reader, but just in case you get curious or have questions," he told her.

He took out three candy bars and out them on the bed next to the book.

"In case you have a craving or get stressed while reading the book," he said with a smile.

Lastly, he took out a pregnancy test.

"Farkle, I already-" Maya started.

"I know. I got you this for two reasons. In case you wanted to be 100% sure, and in case you threw away the other one. You never know, you might want it as a keepsake some day," Farkle said.

Maya didn't know what to say. Farkle's thoughtfulness was enough to make her tear up.

"Thank you, Farkle," she smiled.

They sat on Maya's bed in silence for a moment.

"Wait, is this where you did it?" Farkle asked, referring to the bed he was sitting on.

"Uh...yeah," Maya said with a nervous laugh. Farkle jumped up.

"Gross!" he said, but he couldn't help but laugh.

He told Maya he'd set up the appointment and text her the details. Once Farkle had left, Maya thought about when would be the right time to tell the father. It would have to be before she started showing, and surely that would start happening soon. After the doctor's appointment, she thought. Once I have more information.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

A/N: Comment your guesses for who the father is because all will be revealed pretty soon! Hope you enjoyed!