A Different Kind Of Movie Night

This is all Riley's fault, Maya thought. If she hadn't been on her stupid vacation, none of this would've happened.

12 weeks earlier

The bell rang and Maya stood up to leave. Riley wasn't there, she left school early for a family vacation over the weekend. Maya was a little ticked off that she wasn't invited, but she knew she'd get over it. She figured she'd walk home alone, maybe take a nap, watch some TV and call Riley. She walked out the door when she felt a hand on her shoulder. She stared at the hand and, probably just realizing what he did, Lucas removed his hand. Farkle followed close behind him.

"Hey Maya! We were gonna go hangout at the coffee shop, wanna come?" Lucas piped.

Maya was a little confused. She'd never hung out with Lucas and Farkle without Riley. That was more something Riley would do. Then again, its not like she had any big plans for the rest of the day.

"Sure, I guess," Maya replied. Lucas smiled while Farkle glared at his phone. The three of them walked in silence for a while.

***************************************************************************************************

They arrived at the coffee shop and found three empty chairs. Lucas went to order while Maya and Farkle saved the seats.

"Have you heard from Riley?" Farkle asked.

"Farkle, she left two hours ago. I haven't heard from her," Maya answered.

"So she doesn't know you're out with Lucas and she's not here?" Farkle questioned.

"Well. I'm guessing she knows the "she's not here" part. And besides, I'm not out with Lucas. You're here," Maya responded.

"Yeah but I have to leave in ten minutes, my dad texted," Farkle told her.

Maya started a response, but Lucas had returned with their drinks. Lucas and Farkle talked about some movie they saw and sure enough, ten minutes later Farkle stood up.

"Well, I have to go. See you guys later," Farkle said. Giving no explanation, he left Maya and Lucas alone.

They sat in an awkward silence for a few minutes, but then Lucas asked Maya why she didn't go on vacation with Riley.

"That's something I'd like to know myself," she told him.

Lucas looked confused.

"I wasn't invited," she clarified.

Lucas nodded, understanding.

"So, what do you wanna talk about?" Lucas asked.

"I don't know. What do you and Riley usually talk about?" Maya said.

"All kinds of stuff. She knows a lot about sports," Lucas answered.

"Gross," Maya said quickly.

"Well, what do you and Riley usually talk about?" Lucas asked.

"Honestly? You," Maya told him.

"Me? Huh. And what do you have to say about me?" Lucas said with a smirk.

"Not much," Maya smiled. "It's more of a one sided conversation," Maya said.

Lucas laughed.

"So, you wanna talk about me, or sports?" he laughed.

"Neither," Maya replied. "But we could go back to my place and watch a movie," Maya offered.

"Sounds good. Your mom won't mind?" Lucas said.

"She won't be there," Maya said simply.

***********************************************************************************************

Maya put in a DVD they chose together and turned off the lights. It was about 6 o'clock, so it wasn't that dark. She got two sodas from the fridge and sat down next to Lucas.

"Thanks," he said.

The movie started, but that's not what Maya was paying attention to. Ever since that first day on the subway, she'd never allowed herself to think of Lucas as anything but a friend, if even that. But sitting here alone with him, she couldn't help but remember how she felt about him before she surrendered him to Riley.

Maya went to make popcorn halfway through the movie. Now it actually was dark. She filled one huge bowl and set it between them. Lucas's hand reached in at the same time as hers, and Maya could've puked at how stereotypical this whole thing was. He quickly pulled away and let her take some first.

Maya didn't know what happened. She didn't know who initiated it, but as soon as the movie ended and the credits rolled, she found herself kissing Lucas on her couch. She had her hands on his shoulders and she could feel his on her waist. This went on for a minute or two until Lucas pulled away.

"What are we doing?" he asked.

"I don't know," Maya answered staring at the floor.

"I thought you don't even like me," Lucas said. Maya looked up from the ground and into his eyes.

"I like you," she said quietly. Maya heard someone coming down the hall. She checked the time on her phone. It was 8:15. Her mom usually came home at this time to change before her night shift.

Maya jumped up from the couch and pulled Lucas to her bedroom. She shoved him inside and shut the door. Her mom opened the door not a second too soon, and went straight into her own bedroom.

"Honey, we're crazy busy at work so I'm on they fly," she called from her room.

Maya stayed in front of her bedroom door until her mother left. Then she slipped inside her room.

"What was that?" Lucas asked.

"My mom," Maya answered.

Lucas sat on her bed and she sat down beside him. This is weird, she thought. This is very, very weird. Their eyes met again and this time Maya felt it. She had to kiss him. She wanted it. She had wanted this for a very long time. He was amazing. Sure, it was an obvious, pretty-boy kind of amazing, but still. She kissed him again and he reciprocated. She felt herself falling, and now they were laying down. They stayed like this for a while. Suddenly, Maya sat up and pulled her shirt off over her head revealing her dark purple bra. Lucas looked surprised, but didn't hesitate. He removed his shirt and Maya marveled at how good he looked. He looked really, really good.

They gawked at each other for a moment until Maya asked,

"You've done this before?"

"No, you?" he said.

"Nope," Maya answered.

They resumed kissing and Maya began unbuckling Lucas's belt. She felt him undo her pants and her heart was racing. Riley will hate me, she thought. He's so hot, she thought. These two thoughts fought each other until Lucas unclasped her bra and every thought she ever had fell out of her head.

*****************************************************************************************************

Maya found her shirt on the ground and put it back on. Lucas slipped his pants on and they laid back down on the bed. Maya had a feeling they were both thinking about the same thing, what's Riley going to say?

"We can't tell her," Maya said.

"No, we can't say anything," Lucas agreed.

Maya wasn't sure how long they lay there for, but when she checked the time it was 10:30. Lucas said it was way past his curfew and he had to leave. Maya walked him to the door. Right before he left, he turned around as if remembering something and kissed her. Maya closed the door and leaned against it, thinking about what she'd just done. She couldn't seem to feel guilty about it just yet.