On The Fence

21 weeks pregnant

Lucas hadn't been in touch with Maya all week. He barely spoke to her at school either. Maya was hurt at first, but quickly decided she didn't have time to worry about it. She had to make an effort in school before the baby came or she'd find herself in summer school. The only problem was that they were meeting with another couple after school today and Maya didn't want it to be awkward.

Lucas was forced to talk to her so they could arrange how they would get to the couple's home. Lucas was going to be driven by his mother and Maya would take the subway. Maya was very aware of the stares she received while she sat on the subway with her belly stretching her clothes. She was surprised by how lonely she felt sitting alone compared to last week when she did this with Lucas. To cheer herself up, she decided to text Riley and invite her over this weekend. She hadn't seen her in a while and thought it would be nice to catch up.

Lucas was waiting for her outside the building. He was leaning against a wall looking annoyed.

"Hey," Maya said as if he hadn't ignored her all week.

"Hi. You're late," Lucas replied.

"Sorry, I don't have a chauffeur. I'm only five minutes late, I'm sure they won't mind," Maya retaliated.

"Whatever, come on," Lucas grunted.

He turned and started quickly towards the building. Maya struggled to keep up with him.

"Hey, slow down. I'm carrying extra weight here," Maya hollered.

They were in a very fancy neighborhood and Maya already felt out of place. She fnially caught up to Lucas when they both had to wait for the elevator inside.

"What is your problem?" Maya snapped.

"Nothing," Lucas snapped back.

"Well I hope you can get over this 'nothing' before we meet these people," Maya said.

They took the elevator up to one of the highest floors in the building. It opened right into the living room of the couple. They were both there to greet them.

"Hello, Maya and Lucas. I'm Renee and this is my husband Sebastian," the woman said.

She was tall and blonde and wore a tight black dress and red high heels. Maya could smell her perfume from where she was standing. Sebastian was wearing a suit and tie and had a hair style that looked like it took way too long to achieve. They guided Maya and Lucas to the couch and had refreshments set out on the coffee table.

"As I said, my name is Renee. I'm a fashion designer and my husband is a surgeon. We tried to get pregnant for a year with no luck, so we decided adoption would be the best option for us," Renee explained.

Maya remembered Alison and Jeffrey saying they'd been trying to get pregnant for 5 years and had done all the fertility treatments they could afford. Maya coudln't help herself.

"You didn't consider surrogacy or artificial insemination?" Maya asked.

Renee looked offended but Sebastian stepped in.

"My wife felt that her body just wasn't made for childbearing," he told Maya.

That statement made very little sense to Maya.

"Yes. I also thought it would be more charitable to help out a delinquent in need," Renee added.

Lucas must have forgotten he was mad at Maya, or he knew her well enough to know she was about to blow up, because he took her wrist and gently eased her further back into her chair.