The Party Planner

"SURPRISE!" screamed Riley.

Maya tipped backwards into Lucas. He felt his hands steady her as she took in her surroundings. Riley's apartment looked like a unicorn had thrown-up in it. There were decorations everywhere. Mainly pink, with some yellow and pruple floating around. There were balloons and streamers draped from the ceiling. The coffee table was covered in what looked like goodie bags, the kitchen table had platters of food, and there was a fold-out table Maya had never seen before covered in miscellaneous baby equipment. Lastly, Maya's attention was drawn to the huge, homemade, baby pink banner that hung above the apartment door. It read "Maya's Baby Shower!"

Maya had never been to a baby shower. In fact she'd only ever heard the term on TV or in movies. She had never imagined that this was the surprise Riley was planning. Maya felt confused, yet touched. She didn't think that being pregnant at her age was something to celebrate, but it was sweet of Riley to go to all this effort for her.

"Wow, Riley. This is amazing!" Maya said with her best surprised smile.

"Do you like it? The best friend always throws the baby shower. I thought this would be fun!" Riley squealed.

Maya couldn't help but grin. It made her happy to see Riley so happy, especially because Maya hadn't exactly made it easy for Riley to be happy the past few months. Lucas still stood in the doorway.

"Go check out the food, Maya! Mom helped me with it!" Riley told Maya.

Maya walked into the kitchen and watched Riley approach Lucas. She said something, he smiled and answered, then Riley looked at Maya. Maya quickly looked away, but she could've sworn Riley was smiling at her.

"Maya?' Lucas called to Maya and beckoned her to the doorway.

"Yeah?" Maya said.

"I'm gonna take off. I'm told this is kind of a girls only thing, so I'll see you later," Lucas explained.

"Fine," Maya said coolly.

"Have fun," he said, laughing to himself. He knew this wasn't exactly Maya's idea of fun.

Maya shut the door louder than she meant to. She felt angry at Lucas all over again. What was all this whispering with Riley about? If it was anything, they'd hardly do it right in front of her, right? Or maybe they were taunting her. Maybe Riley was still getting her back. But then why would she go to all this trouble for this party? Maya was terribly confused. she decided to forget about it for the sake of the party. Whatever they were whispering about, it wasn't worth ruining this event over.

Maya started to take in the people that were at this gathering. A bunch of girls from school were congregated in a corner. Maya only recognized half of them. Hey, she had to invite someone, Maya thought. Topanga was in th kitchen looking flustered. Suddenly a familiar face emerged from the bathroom. Maya's mother began helping Topanga in the kitchen. Maya couldn't believe she'd bother to show up to something like this.

Maya hung near the door by herself for the first few minutes. She could see there was still a bit of preparation being done, but she tried to act like she didn't notice. When there was a knock at the door, Maya decided to answer it rather than bother someone who actually lived here. After all, she was standing right there. She opened the door to someone she hadn't even made eye contact with in a long time.

"Hey Riley, I picked up the-" Farkle looked up and realized it wasn't Riley greeting him.

"He speaks," Maya said in her coldest tone.

"Can you give this to Riley?" Farkle requested of the ground.

"Why don't you ask my face?" Maya snapped.

"Just give it to Riley," Farkle muttered, handing Maya a white box.

"When did you turn into an asshole?" Maya asked loudly.

Riley was rushing over now. She took the box from Maya and stepped in front of her. Maya stormed off and left Riley at the door with Farkle. It was getting to the point where she didn't feel like being around anyone anymore. Everyone was just upsetting her.

"Maya, I'm sorry about that. I forgot I asked him to drop this over, I didn't hear the door," Riley explained.

"What's his problem?" Maya huffed.

"I don't-" Riley started.

"Don't tell me you don't know, Riley. I know you talk to him," Maya said. Her voice was small now.

"He just need time, Give it time," Riley said softly.

Maya threw her hands up in anger.

"I am so sick of hearing that everyone needs 'time'. You, Lucas, Farkle. You know, Riley, I wish I had time. I wish I could take a vacation from this and ignore myself for weeks, but I can't. I don't get to run away from the problem because I can feel the problem moving inside me!" Maya said angrily, but carefully keeping her voice down. She didn't need the random girls from school hearing this.

Riley quickly reached out and placed a hand on Maya's belly.

"Hey! Listen to me. This," she said, placing another hand on the bump. "This is not a problem. This is a blessing, even if you don't know it yet. That's what we're celebrating today. We're clebrating her," Riley said firmly.

"Okay," Maya surrendered. She didn't need to say anything else. It was time to celebrate the nearing arrival of her baby girl.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
A/N: Pt 1 of the baby shower :)