Baby Banana

Maya and Lucas sat in the waiting room for what felt like hours. Several heavily pregnant woman came and went, none even close to Maya's age. A few stared at her and Maya tried to not let it bother her. 

"So, can I come in with you then?" Lucas said quietly. No one else was talking so it sounded as though he was shouting. 

"Yeah, I don't see why not. Wait, will I have to take my pants off for this one? Because I did with the last one and I'm just not into that," Maya recalled. 

"I don't know. Probably not," Lucas guessed. 

They returned to silence for a few more minutes. 

"So you really don't wanna know?" Lucas asked. 

"No," Maya said firmly. 

"Well, what do you think it is?" Lucas asked again. 

"Oh come on, I don't know," Maya sighed.

"You must have some idea. I think it's a boy. No, girl. Wait-" Lucas said.

"I don't care," Maya droned. 

The truth of it was Maya felt like she knew exactly what this baby was, but she refused to say anything. She wasn't keeping it, she didn't care, it didn't matter. 

"Maya Hart?" the receptionist called. 

Maya stood up and made her way towards the door. She suddenly felt very overwhelmed. She was going to see her baby for the first time. She had the option of finding out if it was a little boy or girl. The thought of handing this baby off to someone else all of a sudden made her feel like crying. She turned around, expecting to find Lucas there for support. 

Lucas had his back to Maya and wasn't behind her like she'd thought. Maya let out a grunt of exasperation before strutting over to him. 

"Come on we have to-" Maya started. Her voice cut off when she saw who Lucas was talking to. 

"Hi, Maya," said Cory. 

"What are you guys doing here?" Maya asked suspiciously. 

"Well, we thought since you and Riley aren't speaking, we'd be the next best thing. And we knew you wouldn't let your mom come so we thought you should have some adults here. Is it okay if we wait out here?" Topanga asked, gesturing towards the chairs Maya and Lucas had been sitting on. 

Maya tried to reject the offer, but Lucas cut in before she could. 

"That'd be nice. Thank you. Come on Maya, we can't keep the doctor waiting," Lucas said, taking Maya by the arm and moving her towards the door. 

************************************************************************************************

"Hi, Maya, I'm Doctor Wainwright. I don't believe we've met," the doctor extended a hand to Maya. 

Maya was sitting on the exam table with Lucas on a chair next to her. 

"Hi," Maya replied, shaking her hand lightly. 

"And who might this be?" the doctor asked, glaring at Lucas. 

"This might be Lucas. He's the father," Maya told her with the best fake smile she could muster. 

"Right. So are you looking to find out the sex today?" the doctor asked politely. 

"I am, she's not," Lucas said.

"Ah. And...you're alright with that?" the doctor asked Maya.

"Yeah, that's what we want," Maya said. She was getting annoyed now. 

"Well its just that usually couples find out together. It doesn't really make sense for him to find out if you're not," the doctor said. 

"Yeah well as you can see, we're not your usual couple. So can we get on with this please?" Maya snapped. 

"Maya, relax," Lucas said calmly, taking her hand. 

"Why don't you sit over there?" the doctor said to Lucas, pointing to a chair in the corner of the room.

Lucas stood up to move but Maya pulled him back down. 

"He's fine here, but thanks for the input," Maya smiled. 

"Listen, dear, you might want him involved now, but he's just going to run when things get difficult. I suggest you-" the doctor began. 

"Look, lady. I don't need your suggestions. This is between me and him. So are you gonna show me my baby or do we need to go someplace else?" Maya shouted. 

The doctor cleared her throat. 

"Alright then. Can you lay down for me?" she asked nicely. 

Maya did as she was told and shifted around on the uncomfortable exam table. 

"Now pull up your shirt and unbutton you pants please," the doctor instructed. 

The doctor squeezed some cold gel on Maya's tummy and she jumped. 

"Sorry, we don't warm it up here. Okay, I'm just going to take a look around make sure everything looks good, then we'll see if we can tell the gender," the doctor explained. 

She took her machine and moved it around Maya's lower abdomen. Maya and Lucas watched the screen closely as their baby came into view. 

"It looks big. Is it really that big?" Maya asked. 

"They're about the size of a banana," the doctor said. 

Maya looked at Lucas in shock. He smiled at her surprise and gave her hand a squeeze. 

"Alright Maya, turn away now if you don't want to know the gender," the doctor warned. 

Maya stared at the little baby on the screen. She was in love with it. She'd never felt like this about anything before. She came into this room completely opposed to knowing the gender of this baby, and now she wanted to know every single detail about him/her. 

"Are you sure you don't wanna know?" Lucas asked Maya one last time. 

"You know what, I think I do. Let's find out together," Maya smiled. 

"Great. As far as I can tell...yes I'm fairly certain...okay. Congratulations Lucas and Maya, you're having a...

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

A/N: HEY I want you and everyone else reading this to leave a comment guessing the gender. Boy or Girl? I'd love to see what you guys think before I reveal. Leave a comment! Thanks :)