A Nap & A Change Of Heart

30 weeks pregnant

"I already told you; there's no way in hell I'm going to that dance tomorrow," Maya sighed as she mixed her drink with her straw.

"Why not?" Lucas asked with his hands up.

He couldn't understand why she was so against the idea of going to the upcoming school dance.

"There are literally so many reasons why not. I have nothing to wear, there's nowhere for me to buy something to wear, I get tired walking from my bedroom to the bathroom so there's no way I'm gonna be dancing, and what was the last one? Oh yeah, I don't want to," Maya explained.

She couldn't understand why he wasn't listening to her reasoning.

"Fine," Lucas said. He'd given up; there was no changing her mind.

Maya and Lucas were walking to the movies, a.k.a Maya's new job. Lucas insited on walking her there today, and now Maya knew why. He asked her to the dance last week and ever since she said no he'd been pestering her mercilessly about it.

"Why don't you just ask Riley to go with you?" Maya snarked.

She could've sworn she saw Lucas roll his eyes.

"Not that I'd ask her anyway, but she's going with Farkle," he replied.

"Wait, really?" Maya asked.

"Really," Lucas deadpanned.

Maya was happy that Farkle had asked Riley to the dance. She'd always liked those two together.

They arrived at the movies and Maya checked her watch. She'd be late if she didn't hurry up.

"Look, Lucas. I'm sorry but I'm not going to the dance. If I was not, like, 900 pounds right now then I would be more than happy to go with you, but I am. I'll talk to you later, okay?" Maya told him.

"Yeah, see you later," Lucas said evenly.

He turned and walked away and Maya headed into work.

***************************************************************************
After a restless night, Maya woke up early the next morning to her daughter doing gymnastics in her belly. She didn't have anything to do today, so she tried to go back to sleep. Her baby was having no such nonsense.

Begrudgingly, she hauled herself out of bed and into the living. She turned on the TV, but it was too early for anything good to be on. She was just drifting back to sleep on the couch when she was awakened once again.

"Maya! You're up!" Katy exclaimed as she emerged from her bedroom.

"I am now," Maya grunted.

"Are you going to the dance tonight?" her mother asked.

"As I've told you and Lucas and Riley over and over again: no, I am not," Maya said angrily.

"Well, in case you change your mind, I wanted to give you something," her mother said excitedly.

She hurried back into her room and came out holding a dress covered in plastic.

"What's that?" Maya asked, only half interested.

"This is a dress you can wear to the dance," her mother told her.

"Is it yours?" Maya questioned.

"It was mine, now it's yours," she replied.

"That's great mom, but it won't fit me," Maya reminded her by patting her huge bump.

"Maya, I bought this when I was pregnant with you. It fit me, and it will fit you," Katy explained.

"I don't know mom. Maybe a few weeks ago it might've fit me, but now? I'm not sure," Maya said.

"Well anyway, I have to go to work. If you change your mind, the dress is yours," her mother smiled.

Maya's mother left and Maya considered her options. She doubted she'd even like the dress. Besides, could she really go to the dance after making such a big deal about not going? She decided that for now she was just going to shower and get dressed and then watch some more TV. However, she drifted off to sleep soon after making her plan.

***********************************************************************************************************

Maya finally woke up hours later. She checked the time on her phone and couldn't believe how long she'd slept. It was 6pm. Her first thought was of the dance.

Maybe she was being unreasonable. Lucas really wanted her to go to the dance. Maybe she should just go.

She jumped up and figured her timing out in her head. If she could get ready in an hour, she could make it to the dance and only be a little bit late. She rushed to the bathroom to shower. She dried her hair as fast as possible and quickly scraped it into a bun. She did her makeup as best she could and then ran to her room, grabbing the dress on her way. She pulled the dress on and audibly gasped. It really did fit. And not only that, she liked it. It was dark blue and hugged her bump just right. It was 7pm. The dance was starting, but if she left right now she wouldn't be that late. She digged out the most comfortable pair of shoes she could find that matched the dress and looked in the mirror. Not bad for a speedy effort, she thought.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
A/N: Not now, but in a while I kinda wanna do a tiny Lucas POV. Thoughts? Also this chapter is awkwardly written but I don't feel like fixing it. Writing the next part today!