Dinner & A Show

16 weeks pregnant

Maya stared at her reflection in the mirror and aggressively pulled the ponytail she'd done out of her hair. Tonight was the night she was supposed to meet Lucas and his parents for dinner with her mother. It was supposed to be last week, but Maya kept pushing the date until Lucas put his foot down. Right now she was trying to figure out what it wear and how to look presentable. She didn't want to show off her bump, but she couldn't wear some baggy t-shirt either. They were going to a fancy restaurant three blocks away and Maya was really dreading it.

She decided on leaving her hair down and straight; she didn't have time to curl it now. Her stomach ached with dread. What were they going it talk about? Was the whole conversation going to be about the baby? Maya could already feel herself getting defensive.

"We're leaving in five minutes!" Maya's mother called from the living room.

Maya quickly started taking off what she was wearing and grabbed a different dress. She put it on and began rummaging for a matching necklace. She looked in the mirror again and sighed. There was no time to fix anything now. Her bump was noticeable from the side but the dress was dark so it was less visible from the front. She put on high heels and left her room. Her mother was waiting by the apartment door.

"You look nice," her mother said with a smile.

"Thanks. So do you," Maya mumbled.

They had to walk the three blocks to the restaurant and Maya's feet hurt by the time they arrived. It was 8:05, so they were only five minutes late. They entered the restaurant and Maya immediately spotted Lucas. He was wearing a shirt and tie and sat in between two older looking people, who Maya assumed were his parents. Maya wanted to stay standing there, just watching them, but her mother nudged her forward and they made their way to the table.

As soon as they spotted Maya and her mother, Lucas and his parents stood up. His parents shook Katy's hand and introduced themselves while Maya gravitated towards Lucas.

"You look beautiful," he said quietly.

"That's weird because I feel like one of those giant inflatable balls that people roll down hills in and run on water with. You know those?" Maya answered.

"Yeah, I've seen those. But I don't see the resemblance," he told her.

He subtly took her hand and pulled out a chair for her. She sat down and he sat next to her.

"And you must be Maya," Lucas's mother extended a firm hand to Maya.

Maya just smiled and nodded.

"It's nice to meet you," his father said from his seat across the table.

Then the waiter came to take drink orders.

"I thought your dad was still in Texas," Maya whispered to Lucas while everyone was distracted.

"He came for a visit because of the 'seriousness of the situation'," Lucas mocked with air quotes.

The five sat in silence for several minutes until finally Maya's mother jumped in.

"So should we just address the elephant in the room or what?" Katy said.

"I suppose so," Lucas's mother responded.

"I think we should keep the baby," Lucas expressed.

"I don't think that's feasible," his father said sternly.

" I think we should discuss options before we make any decisions," Katy said.

"I met a great couple at my church that are looking to adopt. I think Maya should talk to them," Lucas's mother chimed.