Drugstore Dreaming

Maya's mom was already there when Cory and Maya got to her apartment and Maya wondered what Cory could've said to get her there so fast. She looked more annoyed than concerned as she stood with her hands on her hips in the middle of the living room.

"Maya, do you want me to stick around or leave you guys to it?" Cory asked.

Before Maya could answer, her mother cut in.

"Thanks Cory but whatever she's done this time I'm sure I can handle it," Katy said defensively.

Cory looked to Maya and she nodded. Maya knew she wasn't getting out of this, and she thought she'd rather do it without someone holding her hand. Although, when she stared into her mother's disinterested eyes, she felt like running to her room and locking the door.

"Come on, Maya. What did you do now? It was clearly important enough for Mr. Matthews to make sure I hear about it. What is it?" Katy questioned.

"I'm having a baby, mom," Maya said simply. She had done this too many times today and didn't feel like tiptoeing around it anymore.

"What's that supposed to mean?" her mother snapped.

"It means I'm pregnant," Maya said. Her hand drifted down to her belly.

"Are you kidding me? Look, I'm supposed to be at work I can't deal with this right now," Katy said. She took her jacket in her hands and walked out the door.

Maya was awestruck. She felt as though she was about to fall down. She doesn't even care enough to get mad, Maya thought. She's not even interested enough to ask any questions.

It was too much for Maya to handle. She felt the same way she felt when she found out she was pregnant, only intensified. Her chest was tight, her whole body was shaking and she suddenly felt herself hit the floor. She'd never fainted before, but she didn't like the feeling. The floor felt cold against the side of her face as she tried to get her vision to focus.

I have no one to call, she thought. If I'm dying, I can't call Riley or my Mom or even Farkle since he seems to not be talking to me either for some reason. I'm gonna die here all alone until my mom comes home and finds me. I'm scared. There's a little person inside me. I'm scared. I'm scared.

Maya bit the inside of her cheek as these thoughts spun through her head. She was unsure of how long she was on the ground for her, but when she finally came to, her head was pounding and she felt like throwing up. She leaned against the wall for a minute, thinking. I can't stay here. I never want to see her again. I never want to see anyone again.

She stumbled towards the door. She had no idea where she was going, but she needed to put as much distance between her and her mother as possible. She walked and walked and walked until she realized she was lost. She sat on a bench and tried to think of somewhere to go. It was completely dark now and Maya could hear her heart beating in her chest. She took out her wallet. 30 dollars. That wasn't going to get her far. She considered calling Lucas, but she really didn't want to rely on him for anything. She could only come up with one place to go. It was ridiculous, but it was her only option.

Maya began walking again and her whole body ached. She couldn't tell how long it was going to take to get there as she wasn't quite clear on where she was. She just kept walking, trying not to pass out again. When she finally made it, she breathed a sigh of relief and burst through the door.

The short, round, middle-aged woman behind the register looked startled, but Maya was surprised to see the look of recognition on her face.

"Can I help you with something, sweetheart?" the woman said kindly.

"I...um...I," Maya muttered. Now that she had reached the drugstore, she couldn't quite remember why she was there or what she wanted to say.

"I remember you, sweetheart. Must be about 3 months now, huh?" the woman said.

"I have nowhere to go," Maya said quietly.

The woman stared at her, seemingly assessing just how much of a mess Maya was.

"Sweetheart, I'm afraid my husband may not appreciate me bringing a lost little pregnant girl home, but if you're that desperate I'm here all night. You can stay in here for tonight," the woman told her.

Maya almost cried. Her exhausted brain couldn't fathom the sheer kindness of this woman.

"Thank you," Maya squeaked.

The woman nodded and Maya headed for the back of the store. She found a corner by the cereal and laid on the ground. She was starving, but she wouldn't dream of stealing after all that woman had done for her. It was nowhere near comfortable, but Maya felt safe and that was all she wanted.

Maya cried herself to sleep that night. She cried because of her mother and Riley and because that one night with Lucas now left her sleeping on the floor of a drugstore at 2 in the morning.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

A/N: This one's a little weird I guess but I enjoyed writing it. Leave some comments!