Dress Delivery

26 weeks pregnant

Riley told Maya to wear something nice and "girly" and show up to her house at 12 o'clock. Maya couldn't predict what these instructions meant, so she tried to follow them as best she could. She didn't have very many "girly"clothes to begin with, and if she did even fewer fit her by now. She guessed she was supposed to wear a dress, so she started there.

After about 30 minutes of searching, Maya realised she would be late if she didn't hurry up and get dressed. She decided on a mid-length black dress that wasn't all that girly, but it was the best she could do. She put on some very light makeup but paid special attention to putting on pink lipgloss. Maybe this would drum-up the girliness.

She was about ready to head out the door with only ten minutes to spare when there was a knock at the door. She moaned in exasperation, knowing that whoever it was would make her late. She pulled the door opened and there stood Lucas. He was holding a purple bag and wearing a guilty look on his face. Maya avoided eye contact.

"What do you want?" Maya asked coolly.

Since the phone call Maya made to Lucas, they hadn't been speaking at school. Maya was back to hanging out with Riley at school and Lucas was with Farkle and his other friends. Maya constantly felt guilty at school. All she could think about was how her group of friends were no longer friends because of her. Maya didn't know what Farkle's problem was, but he hadn't spoken to her in weeks. She tried asking him a few times but he'd just ignore her. After a while she decided she didn't care what he did anymore. Lucas and Riley were supposedly still friends, but since he and Maya were arguing Riley and Lucas hadn't been speaking either. Or so Maya thought.

"I'm here on business. Riley sent me," he stated.

"Well if I stay here talking to you I'm gonna be late for whatever Riley's planning, which apparently involves you now," Maya told him.

"Can I come in? Riley's running a little behind schedule," Lucas asked.

"I guess," Maya sighed.

She left the door opened and made her way to kitchen. Lucas closed the door and sat down on the couch. Maya poured herself a glass of juice and supposed she should offer one to Lucas, but before she could he brought up another order of business.

"I have something for you. Riley told me to come over here and stall you. She said if you were wearing something black and/or something too short, I have to give you this," he explained, holding up the purple bag.

Maya left her juice on the counter and took the bag from him. She removed the tissue paper and saw what was sitting at the bottom of the bag. She pulled out the dress and smiled. It was prettier than she expected. It was a full-length pink dress that was light and flowy. Maya could tell it would fit, too. She figured Riley must've went to the bother of shopping at an actual maternity store. She took off to her room to try it on.

Maya looked in the mirror and and smiled even bigger. She hadn't like the way she looked for months, but she did right now. The dress fit perfectly. It sinched in right before her bump and made it very obvious. Normally Maya wouldn't be very fond of this, but the whole look was just so perfect. The dress flowed all the way down to her feet and Maya realised she didn't have shoes. She twirled back out to Lucas. It was difficult to keep up her cold exterior in this dress, but she tried.

"Did Riley give you shoes?" Maya asked.

It took Lucas a long time to answer. He just stared, taking in Maya's beauty. Maya didn't stop him, either. For once, she didn't mind someone staring at her.

"No, she told me to let you pick your own," Lucas said without taking his eyes off her.

Maya sighed. She doubted she had any shoes that would do this dress justice. She went back to her room and found her favourite black boots. She thought they would look funny with it, but she actually kind of liked the way they looked. She took them off and carried them out to Lucas.

"What about these?" she asked, holding up the boots.

"Maya, I'm really sorry," Lucas answered.

Maya sat down next to him on the couch and looked in his eyes for the first time since he'd been in her apartment.

"Well it's about damned time," Maya said.

Lucas half-smiled.

"I'm sorry, I just got overwhelmed. It was like, I was fine when you first told me. But then we started meeting couples and looking for jobs and it was all too much. It became so real. And then I heard about you and Josh and I couldn't stand the thought of it. I just needed time to think. But I'm done thinking now. I'm here for you. I got a job at a restaraunt too," Lucas explained.

"Well, thanks for the apology. But I don't want you involved if you don't really wanna be involved. We'd be better off on our own," Maya said, holding her bump.

"I do wanna be involved. I'm ready now. You had your freak-out when you slept at the drugstore, I had mine over the last couple weeks. I'm done now," he smiled.

"Okay," Maya smiled back.

Lucas's phone buzzed and he checked it immediately.

"That's Riley. We have to go now," he said, standing up.

Maya put her shoes back on and stood up. Lucas opened the door and Maya walked out first. He said it quietly, but Maya was supposed to hear it.

"Our daughter will be lucky to be as beautiful as you."
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
A/N: I don't think I spell checked this sorry. Thanks for all your name suggestions; keep them coming!