Everyone But Him

Maya's mother was at the hospital when Maya and Farkle got there. They brought Maya to her room and told her to put on a gown. She had barely had any contractions so far. In the back of her mind, she'd been hoping that maybe she could just give birth without getting any contractions. She was wrong. 

Maya was in the bathroom getting changed when she felt an intense pain in her lower abdomen. She gripped the sink and waited until it was over. She made it to her bed before another one came. Her mother was with her this time, and although she didn't want to hold her mother's hand or anything, it was nice having her there. 

Maya had asked Farkle to call Riley and Lucas, so for now it was just her and her mother. 

"Are you scared?" Katy asked. 

"I wasn't before the pain started. Now? Yeah," Maya told her. 

"Who do you want in here for the delivery?" her mother asked. 

"I don't know. I mean, if Lucas wants to, he can be in here. I don't think Riley will want to. You can stay if you want," Maya added. 

Her mother smiled. 

"I'd love to," she said. 

Maya got hooked up to all kinds of machines to be monitored. She was told that her baby looked healthy and was definitely ready to come out. Maya's mother read a magazine while Maya tried to get some sleep. Her contractions were 5 minutes apart, so that made it difficult. 

At around 8pm, Riley and Topanga came in to see her. Maya barely opened her eyes, but she could see Riley's expression of horror and nervousness. She almost look like she was going to cry, and Maya had to hold back a groan. She didn't need to deal with a weepy Riley right now. 

"You want me to stay with her while you go get something to eat?" Topanga asked Katy quietly. 

"Sure, thanks," Katy replied. 

"I don't need a babysitter. I'm practically a mother," Maya said, causing her to feel a little nauseous. 

"Maybe we don't wanna miss the birth, honey. It's not all about you," Katy joked as she left the room.

Topanga and Riley sat down on either side of Maya. 

"Is Lucas here yet?" Maya asked. 

"Not yet, but he'll be here," Riley reassured. 

"How are you feeling, Maya?" Topanga asked gently. 

"It hurts. It hurts a lot. And they told me it hasn't even gotten bad yet," Maya said worriedly.

Riley almost grimaced at the thought of it. 

"Riles, where's Lucas?" Maya asked. 

"I don't know," Riley said honestly. 

Topanga slipped out of the room and stood in front of the door to let them talk.

"What if he doesn't come?!" Maya cried. 

She was suddenly feeling very panicky. She wanted to go back. She didn't want to be in labor anymore. She wanted to go home, to work , to school, anywhere but here. 

"I have to get out, Riley. I can't do th-owww!" Maya shouted as she felt a strong contraction. 

"Shhh, relax," Riley said quietly, easing Maya back into bed.

"I'm scared, Riley," Maya whispered. 

"Me too," Riley told her. 

Riley climbed up onto Maya's bed and laid down next to her over the blanket.

They both fell asleep for about and hour until Maya awoke to much more intense pain. Riley got up and walked out of the room. She had her phone in her hand and looked like she was trying to call someone. Maya's thoughts drifted back to Lucas. She couldn't believe he was the only one that wasn't here. Where was he? Why wasn't he here yet? What if he didn't show up at all? She really didn't want to do this alone. He'd been like her rock through this whole thing; how could he flake out now?

A doctor came in to check Maya's cervix and told her she was about five centimeters dilated. "Halfway there!" she said. Maya was unresponsive. She was still in a lot of pain and all she cared about was how much pain she was in and when Lucas was going to get there. 

Farkle came in to see her at about 10pm. He wouldn't tell her where Lucas was either, but she got the feeling that he truly didn't know. He was never a good liar. He didn't say much; he just kind of sat next to her and existed in the room. Maya didn't mind nor did she find it awkward. In fact, it was nice that for once someone wasn't asking her how she was feeling every 3 seconds.

Finally, at about 10:30pm, Lucas burst through her door looking flustered and guilty. 

"Well, well, well. Would you look who finally decided to-" Maya began her comment but didn't put in the effort to finish it as she bit her lip through another contraction. 

"Oh Maya, I'm so sorry." He thought about telling his excuse, but then he saw how much pain she was in and went to be by her side instead. 

"Have you been in a lot of pain?" Lucas asked gently. 

"You would know if you were here." Her voice cracked mid-sentence. 

Maya couldn't believe this. Before this whole pregnancy thing, she'd hardly ever cry over anything. Now almost every little thing set her off. It was gross. 

"I know. And I don't even have a good excuse. First I was at work, and then I thought I'd go home and get changed first, but I just couldn't seem to leave the house, Maya. I just kept getting scared and talking myself out of it. It was ridiculous. I'm sorry," Lucas explained. 

"It makes no difference now anyway. You're here, right?" Maya sniffed. 

"I'm here now," Lucas said, squeezing her hand. 

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

A/N: Sorry this took a little longer than usual. I just kept writing buts at a time and getting distracted. I can't say that the next chapter will be the last one because I haven't started it yet, but that was the original plan. I know I already asked, but do you guys think it would be worth me doing a sequel? I'd take a little break after this first, and I wouldn't do it unless I was really motivated to. It would probably be like the first year of raising the baby or something. Idk, let me know what you think. Also, shout-out to my friend (ruledbyfandoms1) who's the only person I know irl who I let read this. Hi :)