Visitors

Maya's mother stayed with her until six that morning, and then she had to go home and get ready for work. Maya was just drifting back to sleep when she heard someone else enter the room. 

"Get in a street fight, did we?" Josh asked as he sat in the chair next to Maya's hospital bed. 

"How are you here so early?" Maya grumbled without opening her eyes.

"I knew they were letting you out today and I figured cowboy would be here later, so I came now. Sorry I didn't come see you before now, but it's not like the baby's here or anything," Josh explained.

"You're right. It's very uninteresting," Maya mumbled. 

"Hey, wake up. I need to talk to you," Josh pestered.

Maya gave an audible sigh as she opened her eyes. 

"Yes?" she asked moodily. 

"I've been thinking, and I don't wanna get in the way of you and the cowboy. You guys are having a baby, and you should be together without any one screwing it up," Josh said. 

"Lucas and I are not together. We decided to just be friends," Maya told him.

Josh laughed.

"Friends with a baby? That's gotta be weird," Josh assumed. 

"Not really," Maya corrected. 

"So that means you're available?" Josh smirked. 

"Look, Josh. I'm literally gonna have a baby in a few weeks. That's what I need to focus on right now. I don't need to be thinking about relationships with you or Lucas or anyone. I just need to focus on me and her right now," Maya explained, holding her huge bump.

"It's a girl?" Josh asked quietly.

"Yeah, I didn't tell you that?" Maya asked, surprised.

"No, no you didn't. Congratulations. She's gonna be beautiful...just like her mom," he smiled. 

"Why do you even care about me? It's not your baby, it's not like we were ever even dating. Why do you even wanna be with some pregnant chick?" Maya asked. 

"I think you're amazing, Maya. I think you're really brave to be having this baby and taking all this on. I really like you," Josh admitted. 

"I like you too, Josh," Maya admitted. 

"But I heard what you said and I get it. You don't need a relationship right now, and I know you really love the cowboy. I'll leave you alone, Maya. You can call me any time, though. Don't forget that," Josh told her. 

"I won't. Thanks, Josh," Maya smiled. 

Josh stood up to leave, but remembered something and turned back around. 

"Can I come see you when she's born?" he asked.

"Absolutely," Maya told him. 

"Thanks. Can I have a goodbye kiss?" he asked.

"Okay, now you're pushing it," Maya laughed. 

"I'll see you later, Maya," he laughed as he walked out the door. 

*****************************************************************************************************

About an hour later, Lucas showed up to take Maya home.

"Morning, sunshine," he smiled as she opened her eyes slowly and squinted at him.

"Are you taking me home?" Maya asked sleepily.

"Yes ma'am," Lucas replied. 

Lucas pulled the covers off Maya and told her to get dressed. He began getting some of her things together and handed her her crutches. 

"You can get dressed in here if you want, or you can practice on your crutches and go into the bathroom," Lucas explained.

"You're not gonna help me?" Maya asked sadly. 

"No, I'm not," Lucas said firmly. 

"You helped me a few days ago," Maya reminded him. 

"Yeah, and that was a once-off thing. You were in a lot more pain then. You can do it yourself," Lucas said without looking at her. 

"Fine. I'll do it myself. Even though the bruise on my side still hurts," Maya grumbled. 

She sat up in bed and began taking off her pajama top. It did hurt, but not as much as she made it out to. Lucas busied himself with anything but looking at her. Maya tried to take off her pants but kept wincing every time her ankle was moved. Lucas finally caved and turned around. 

"Here. Put this on," he threw her a shirt without looking at her and waited until she had it on. 

He then stood at the foot of her bed and stared at her legs. 

"What are you doing?" Maya asked. 

"Trying to figure out the best way to get your pants off," Lucas said simply. 

They both hesitated and then laughed unapologetically.

Lucas started to tug her pants down from her waist. He was being so careful and gentle. Maya bit her lip and couldn't help but think about how it felt exactly like the night she got pregnant. As if he knew what she was thinking, Lucas piped up. 

"Hey, this isn't a sexual thing. I just don't want you to hurt your ankle even more," Lucas confirmed. 

"I know," Maya said quickly. It sure feels like it though, she thought.

He eased the pants over her ankle and Maya barely felt a thing. He grabbed a loose pair of pants and managed to get them over her ankle too, although it was a bit more difficult. 

"Thanks," Maya said as she sat slowly swung her legs to the side of the bed and reached for her crutches. 

"Sure. Now walk with the crutches over to the wheelchair," Lucas told her, pointing to the wheelchair across the room. 

Maya managed it, but barely. 

"You're gonna need some practice," Lucas laughed as he took the brakes off the wheelchair and handed her her bags to hold. 

He wheeled her all the way to the main exit. 

"Your mom already signed you out upstairs, so we're all set," Lucas informed her.

Lucas pushed her out of the building and Maya felt like the female lead in a movie who'd just had a baby. Thank God I haven't just had a baby, Maya thought to herself. 

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

A/N: New update schedule is Monday, Wednesday, Friday. This was just a chapter so Maya could talk to Josh and then get out of the hospital. Hope you enjoyed!