16)

My heart pounds a million times per second as I briskly walk up sycamore drive - awsten's street. It should be renamed doom drive since he lives there. It is quite possibly the worst street in the whole entire world.
I got changed before I got here, and let my hair down . I didn't want him to think I wear the same clothes all day. I don't like, I put of jodhpurs for the yard, but I'm hardly going to be wearing horse wear to awsten's house, am I?
What number was it he had said? Oh yes, 20. 16,18, ah, 20. My heart skips a bear as I walk up to the door. Maybe I shouldn't knock and go home?
Nevertheless, I find myself knocking on the door, why am I doing this? I really don't want to. I've been dreading it ever since he even told me. Perhaps I should just leg it before someone answers.
Before I get a chance to think my last idea, somebody answers the door. She has short blonde hair. She immediately smiles at me. Hmm, I bet she is nothing like her son then, she seems friendly, I think to myself.
"Hi, I'm, um, here for awsten?" I say, though it comes out more of a question than a statement.
"Ah! Hiya, hun, come on in!" She says confidently, holding the door wide  open for me to walk inside. "Awsten!" She bellows up the stairs, indicating for him to come on down.
Awsten bounds down the stairs, dressed in a black t-shirt and black skinny jeans. His hair doesn't look as well styled as if did earlier in school today. Maybe he just doesn't care when he's around family.
"Your friend is here," she states simply before wandering into another room.
Ha, friend, as if. I'll never be his friend, never in a million years, even if he was the last person on the planet. When he see's me, a smirk comes onto his face. I back away into the wall slightly, staring at the floor awkwardly because I'm in my enemies home.
"Lilly... you came," he says, coming right down the stairs and walking up to me. He invades my personal space so I can't move.
"Mm hm," I nod, still not looking at him.
"Why do you stare at the floor when I speak to you?" He asks. I quickly snap my head upwards in his direction. "That's better. Now would you like a cup of tea?"
"No thank you," I say politely.
"Do you not like tea?" He probes.
"No, I do like it, I just don't fancy it, thank you anyway," I add quickly at the end.
"Hmm. Right. Well, follow me to my room, please," he says, leading the way upstairs.
Why is he being so polite, rather than his rude, arrogant, obnoxious self all of a sudden? I don't like it. It's building up tension and it worries me. All of a sudden he reaches behind him and takes my wrist, but gently rather than roughly for once. "Why do you have to be such a slow walker all the time for?" He asks.
"I'm not aloe, it's just you're fast," I say, which was very true.
"Whatever," he says, half dragging me into his bedroom hmm, it's black like his heart.
"We'll do it on the floor, seeing as I only have one seat for my desk," he says, gesturing to his oak flooring. He walks over to the rug and sits down against his bed, his legs out straight in front of him. I take the other side of the rug, and hug my knees up to my chest. He makes a 'hmph' sort of noise, and stays put.
"I have a question. Why do you always wear boots bad checked shirts for?" For a brief moment a hurt expression comes over my face, and then I quickly change it so I don't let him know it gets to me. I think he noticed anyway though. "B - because that's the sort of clothing I like. Is it a problem?" I ask uncertainly.
"Yeah, actually, it is. Why can't you dress normally like the other girls in our year? You know, where converses and Hollister and that?"
"I do have those brands," I inform him.
"Then why can't you wear them?" He asks cheekily.
"Because I prefer my style. Anyway, what's it to you?" I frown.
"Nothing. Just wondering, that's all, why your so different to the rest"
"It's not like it's the only difference about me," I mutter.
"What do you mean?" He frowns, and he stares right at me with his blue/greyish green eyes which makes me feel uneasy.
"Well, I'm a loner," I state.
"Yes, you are"
"It's your fault, mind"
"Yes, I know. I like it this way"
I sigh. He's so argumentative. Even when he's wrong, he carries on. "Right, let's go though simultaneous equations, ok?"
"But I can't do those," I say quietly.
"No you can't," he says confidently, how the hell would he know?
"Yes, I can"
"No you can't because I managed to take a look at your last test and you only got 2 marks out of a total of 5 for that question, ok?" He says. He's so bossy. I don't like it. Who was i kidding, I don't like him full stop.
I sigh, giving in to him like I usually do, and then I take out my textbook that I brought with me from my satchel, and a wad of paper and a blue pen. He takes a black one, and grabs a black leather notebook. I think he has an obsession with black. He snatches my book out of my hands, knowing I won't say or do anything about it, and then he starts flicking though it himself. He places it in front of him and finds the page.
"We'll try question 6," he says, writing 6 in the margin.
"Like the call of the devil," I mutter to myself, not loud enough for him to hear. Or at least that's what I thought.
"What did you say?" He asks, glaring at me with his eyes just slits. My eyes do the opposite- they go wide with fear. I didn't mean for him to hear.
"N - nothing," I stammer.
"Yes you did. You said the call of the devil. Are you trying to call me a devil?"
"Well you are one!" I mentally face palm myself. I didn't mean to blurt that out. He can get anything out of me. He starts to come towards me and I instantly panic but feel rooted to the spot.
"I wouldn't back chat me in my house whilst you have nowhere to run," he growls.
"W - what are you doing to do to me?"
"Nothing. At least, not if you carry on"
He then proceeds in explaining how simultaneous equations go, and I just sit there, trying to take it in but too busy worrying that I'm in the same room as him. Too close for comfort, really.
When we're done, we walk downstairs ready for me to go. "T - thank you," I say quickly to him. Then his mom comes out.
"Are you walking her home, Awsten?" She asks him.
"Good idea." He grins, striding towards me. He reaches behind me and grabs his trench coat. I look at him, as if to say - please don't walk home either me, I hate you and I've already spent one long hour with you already tonight.
"Um, that's ok, Awsten, I'm fine on my own," I say sweetly.
"No. I insist." He says though gritted teeth.
"Bye, hun!" His mom says to me.
"Bye!" I say, my voice sounding panicked like I already am.
Awsten opens the door, and we walk outside into the cold air. Here we go. This can only end badly.