Additional Chapter Part 2: The Bad Ending

Remember That Night by Sara Kays

My plane had landed. The moment I turned my phone on, a text came through.

It was from Chan.

"Hey, you alright?"

"I am."

"Good, I was worried."

"Are you okay?"

"Yes, waiting for your answer felt so draining. Let me know when you're coming back."

-----------------

I never returned back to Korea. Once I landed, I saw what they were saying. Regardless of the support we had, it was better for us to be separated.

I turn over in my bed and opened my phone.

"We should stop playing."

"What do you mean?"

"We should break up. I'm already home and it's for the best."

"It'll be alright, I need you."

"And I need you to be okay with me not being there. Your career depends on it. If we keep this up, it'll end or go badly for you."

"I knew what could've come but I didn't care."

"I can't kept seeing you choosing me over what took you so long to create. You have an obligation to your group,  the company, your fans and yourself. I know you would never leave me so let me be the first to say, I'm done."

He stopped replying after I said that.
I laid on the bed and cried as loudly as I wanted. No one was going to stop me. The best relationship I had just ended. I hurt the man I love and all for his wellbeing.

As the days go by, he had made a statement. He announced that we were no longer together and that he will try to regain focus on his work. The company soon later came out and said that he would be going on hiatus to reflect on past behaviors and the situation at hand.

I longed to be with him but if I get soft then he would never let me go.

-----------------
As the day go past, I start getting better. There are some days where I missed him. I stay in the corner of my room imagining us being together again. I go back on our messages and just reread them over and over.

I think of what if's. What if I went back? What if I went back and stayed with him? What if he had dropped everything for me and we just ran away together? Let's be practical, it wouldn't have happened. Music is his passion. He shouldn't have to choose between love or career. I left so he wouldn't have to make that decision.

I wonder how he has been doing?

-----------------
Not great. Chan has been on hiatus for months. He cries almost everyday. When he isn't crying, he's sleep. He numbs himself. He allowed himself to feel romantic love for the first time and truly felt like this was going to be his last.

He started to allow himself to talk to people about his feelings and slowly but gradually healing a broken heart.

There are articles stating that he may leave the group and go back to Australia to restart his life. People speculating about the group future success and the impact of this scandal.

-----------------
"Hey."

"Chan, what are you doing?"

"You answered me."

"Chan." I say quietly.

"I know, I know. I shouldn't be doing this but I just miss you. I wanted to hear from you."

"Please stop this."

"Please." He begs. "Just tell me how you been or just stay on the phone for a while and then hang up. It hurts without you.

I don't speak and through the phone, he follows my breathing pattern.

"This is hopeless and you know it."

"I'm trying please. I understand. I understand why you left. I couldn't erase you."

"I can't either. You haunt my every waking moment. You're everywhere and no one will let me forget you. You flood my phone, on every app I go on. I can't erase the memories of me from your mind but you can easily stop physically seeing me. It isn't just hard for you but me too. I'm trying just as hard and calling me wasn't a good choice."

"I'm sorry."

"No you're not. You called me because for once, you were selfish. Be selfish, but I can't continue this with you anymore. Maybe we can still talk as friends in the future when we're both get past this situation. We can't keep harboring feelings for each other."

There a silence before he told me,

"I love you, goodbye."

His contact fades away but I don't decide to delete his contact.

-----------------
Months go by, I haven't heard from Chan since the last call. I haven't sent any messages. I went off SNS for the time being. It's been a while and I decided to see how he was doing. Through videos, Chan looks content. I'm content. I decide to text him.

"Hello?"

"Y/N"

"You still have my contact."

"I don't, I just know your number."

"Oh, you okay?"

"Getting better."

"That great, me too."

"Do you remember. . ."

===========================================================================

Ahhhh! I can't keep doing this to Chan. Man, I hope he nor any of the boys have to go through this. Or anyone in general. Life's not perfect though.

That's a crazy ending, isn't it? "Do you remember?", remember what Chanm I wonder what he was going to say. Do we remember their first meeting, the beach, the airport, the run to the Thailand food place?