02 | Welcome to the Capitol

"You're not coming," Coryo demanded as Vera followed behind him

"You're not coming," Coryo demanded as Vera followed behind him. It had been two days since Vera announced she would be joining Coryo on his adventure to the train station for the tributes' arrival. And yet, Coryo still refused to let her come, insisting that it would not be safe for her to be around the tributes alone.

Though, Vera wasn't fooled by his argument. She knew that was just a ploy to get her to leave. He'd obviously wanted to have an edge over everyone else. He always wanted to have an edge over everyone else.

"Too late, we're almost there," Vera taunted with a smile. Coryo scoffed as he glanced at his friend.

"You know, you should really be wearing your uniform," he scolded, eyeing the dress that she chose to wear instead. Vera laughed and gave her dress a little twirl.

"No way, I love my blue dress. Plus, those uniforms are hideous, I don't know why you're wearing it," Vera responded as she tried to hold back a laugh when Coryo looked at his own outfit. Of course, he came in uniform.

"We're on official Academy business. It's only appropriate," Coryo answered, wiping down his uniform.

"Yeah right, we're definitely not supposed to be here right now," Vera argued back with a chuckle. Coryo playfully rolled his eyes.

"Guess you shouldn't be here then," Coryo teased, but Vera knew there was some truth to it. Deep down, she knew Coryo still wanted to do this himself.

"Funny, I'm usually the one that doesn't listen to the rules. If anything, you're the one that shouldn't be here. With Highbottom watching you so closely and all," Vera joked back. Coryo scoffed at the mention of the Dean.

"There's no need to remind me," he replied with a scowl, causing Vera to laugh again.

"No matter, what I'd really like to know is why you have a rose," Vera remarked, pointing out the rose in her friend's hand with a wink.

"It's for my tribute," Coryo stated matter-of-factly, causing Vera to let out another laugh.

"Obviously, I know that," Vera admitted, before deciding to tease the boy, "What? Are you trying to woo her? Coriolanus Snow, how scandalous of you."

"No matter," Coryo replied, stealing Vera's words from earlier, "What's in that bag of yours?"

"Food," Vera replied, "I'm sure Treech is hungry. It's been a long few days."

"You speak of your tribute as if you know him well," Coryo remarked, eyeing Vera.

"Hopefully I will soon," Vera answered before speaking again, "They're human beings just like us, Coryo. I can't get him out of the games, but the least I can do is make sure he's comfortable and ready. It's our job to help them survive."