23 | Can't Catch Me Now

He did it

He did it. Treech won. 

For a moment, Vera felt like everything might be okay. Like she might actually have the chance to see him again after all. 

But then, Treech collapsed onto the ground and everything went silent.

No. He was fine. He had to be fine. 

Vera felt her heart stop as she stared up at the screen with tears in her eyes, watching as peacekeepers came in to collect the boy.

The audience did not seem to care about Treech though, only applauding for the show. In no time, Vera was surrounded by her classmates and other spectators, all wishing her congratulations as if she had fought in the games herself.

Vera felt sick to her stomach as she tried her best to smile for the cameras. She couldn't appear ungrateful now. Who knows what they'd do to Treech if she did?

'You did it!'  Vera heard all around her.

'You put on such a good show!'

But all Vera could focus on was making sure Treech was okay. Was he alive? Was he already on his way back to District Seven?

"Ms. Whitestone, come with me," said one of the Peacekeepers, grabbing onto her arm and pulling her away from the crowd.

"Where are you taking me? And where's Treech? I need to see him," Vera asked the man, but he gave no response, only guiding her toward an empty classroom. Vera only grew annoyed at this, pulling her arm out of the man's grasp and turning around to face him.

"Ms. Whitestone," the Peacekeeper warned but Vera ignored him.

"I'm not going anywhere until you tell me where Treech is," Vera insisted, standing up straighter in response.

"Miss me that much, Darling?" teased Treech from behind her, forcing Vera to turn around.

"Treech," muttered Vera as she rushed toward him, pulling him in for a hug. Treech stumbled back for a moment before wrapping his arms around her, letting out a loud grunt from the pain.

"Are you hurt anywhere?" Vera muttered, pulling away as she scanned Treech for any injuries. Treech let out a faint chuckle, smiling through the exhaustion.