05 | District 7

"Treech!" Vera called out as soon as she and Arachne arrived, immediately leaving Arachne to meet Treech at the fence

"Treech!" Vera called out as soon as she and Arachne arrived, immediately leaving Arachne to meet Treech at the fence. Treech turned his head at her call, slowly getting up to meet her at the fence. Vera smiled happily as she pulled out their lunch from her bag, taking a seat on the ground.

"Come on, I'm hungry," Vera urged, waving for Treech to sit down. Slowly, the boy sat down, nodding his head as he took the food from her hands. The two nibbled on their boiled potatoes for a few moments in silence, just enjoying the food, before Vera spoke.

"We didn't get to talk much about anything earlier. Is it okay if I ask what it's like in District 7?" Vera wondered, forcing Treech to halt. Why would she be interested in his life?

"What do you want to know?" Treech asked, putting down his potato.

"Anything. What do you do for work? What do you do for fun?" Vera replied. Treech paused for a minute, thinking of what to say.

"Been working for most my life. At first, I was just sorting the logs into different sizes, but as I got older, I began to work in the forest and actually chop the wood. That's what I do now, mainly. With my father and brother. Other than that, I guess I don't really do much for fun, besides work. Sometimes, I guess I take my sister, Tilli, to this little pond that's hidden in the trees and we play in the water. I built her a little swing a few years ago and she loves it," Treech explained with a reminiscent smile. Vera listened intently, eyes widened in intrigue.

"That's sweet of you. To care for your sister that way. I'm sure she's thankful for you. I sure know I would be if someone took me to a pond all the time," Vera assured.

"I'm not so sure about that. She's always complaining about how I annoy her too much," Treech answered back, chuckling. Vera laughed too, shaking her head.

"What else is your family like?"

"My brother, Teak, is older and married, so he doesn't live with us anymore. But, I still see him at work every day. Tilli's only 8, so she mainly does work in the Mill. I already told you about our adventures, but usually, she's just attached to Mom's hip. My father loves to build, so he often teaches me how to make stuff. That's where I learned to make the swing. And Mom, well, she's just a pearl. She works as a field cook for us workers, so she makes all the food when we are out working. But, at home, most of the time, she's baking with Tilli. It's usually not much, especially compared to what you're used to, but it's home," Treech confessed, his smile never fading.

"It sounds lovely, Treech. I wish I could experience it, even if it's just once," Vera reassured him with a sincere look on her face.

"Really?" Treech asked, confused about how a girl from the Capitol could ever think his life was lovely.

"Of course. I mean it, Treech. Your family sounds lovely."

"Well then, maybe you'd work well in District 7," Treech joked with a head tilt, Vera raised her eyebrows.