16 | Run Treech

Sejanus was in the arena

Sejanus was in the arena. Why? And what was he doing hovering over Marcus's body?

"Yes. The Plinth boy you're so close with. It seems as though he went into the arena to spread breadcrumbs—sustenance for a fallen comrade on his final journey. A District Two superstition,"  answered Dr. Gaul, voice filled with malice. 

"Why aren't you getting him out then?" asked Vera, "Why'd you waste your time coming to tell me?"

"And risk him bolting and hiding like the little rabbit he is?" Dr. Gaul spat, inching closer to Vera, "No, that won't do."

"What's going on? Is it Lucy Gray?" Vera suddenly heard, turning her attention to the door where Coryo had been standing.

"Mr. Snow, I see you're here too," Dr. Gaul greeted, "I was here for Ms. Whitestone, but the extra help wouldn't hurt. Insurance."

Coryo furrowed his brows as he approached the two, eyes widening as he noticed Sejanus on the big screen.

"What's happening? Why is Sejanus in the arena?" 

"Mr. Snow, I need you to listen to me very carefully. In a few minutes, I will have a driver take you and Ms. Whitestone to the arena. I need you both to go in there and get that boy out," Dr. Gaul instructed, leaving no room for arguments.

"Why both of us?" asked Coryo, "Wouldn't that be more noticeable?"

"Because if Ms. Whitestone's empathy can't save him, then maybe your reasoning could," shot back Dr. Gaul, her voice sounding extra menacing at the word 'empathy' as if she were mocking Vera and her friendship with Sejanus.

Vera remained quiet for a few moments as she clenched her jaw. Going into the arena would be dangerous, but leaving Sejanus there to fend for himself would be worse. And Coryo would definitely not be able to do this alone. 

"Fine, I'll go," Vera announced, standing up from her chair. Dr. Gaul smirked at that, clapping her hands together.

"Of course you are," said Dr. Gaul, "I had no doubt you would."

"Now go. I have a driver waiting for you both."

-