21 | Day Five

The rest of the night was extremely uneventful, thankfully

The rest of the night was extremely uneventful, thankfully. Minus the big storm that engulfed the arena toward the end. Immediately, all of the girls went to seek shelter, but the boys held their positions.

Vera hoped that Treech didn't freeze to death because of his stubbornness.

Nonetheless, all the mentors decided to spend the night in the auditorium in fear that something would happen during the night.

Nothing did.

And the next day, Vera woke up grumpy from lack of sleep only to find out the the arena stayed the exact same. 

Well, besides one thing. Thankfully, the storm seemed to knock out most of the snakes, only leaving a few stragglers hiding by the corners of the arena.

With a grunt, Vera pulled herself off of the ground, rubbing the sleep from her eyes with a yawn.

"Good morning, Sleeping Beauty. Did you all sleep here last night?" Vera heard from behind her, revealing an oddly chipper Festus.

"What are you doing here? Weren't you dismissed yesterday?" Vera muttered as Festus let out a laugh.

"Brought breakfast," Festus exclaimed, holding up egg sandwiches and apples, "Camaraderie, see?"

"Can't say no to that," Vera muttered, taking the food with a thank you before letting him move on to the others. After that, Vera made her way over to her comminicuff, noticing the way Treech also seemed to be waking up.

With a smile, Vera sent the boy an apple and some bread to match her own, waiting until the food arrived to begin eating hers. 

Just like old times, Vera thought as she bit into her food. She couldn't help but be reminded of all the times she had shared meals with Treech through the fence and the way he would compliment her every time. 

Back then, it never failed to put a smile on Vera's face. But now, it just made her sad. Remembering the fact that they'd never experience that again. That they might not even see each other again if Treech didn't survive.

Still, she could enjoy this moment from afar as Treech seemed to be doing as well. Vera wondered if maybe Treech had been thinking of her and the times that they spent together before the games. She wondered if he still thought about their relationship the way she did and felt motivated by the idea of seeing her again.