11 | Lights Camera Action

Vera had a few more days after her meeting with Treech and the other mentors to prepare for the interview and Dr

Vera had a few more days after her meeting with Treech and the other mentors to prepare for the interview and Dr. Gaul's assignment.

As she expected, the Capitol refused her request to let Treech borrow an axe for the interviews, but the intrigued look on their faces when she described his skills made it much more plausible that they'd put an axe for him in the arena. 

But for now, Treech would just have to settle with his ability to describe his skills and his charms. 

Thankfully, Vera was able to have one more meeting with Treech before his interview, outside of her daily visits which were reserved for eating and small talk. This time, each tribute and mentor was given an empty classroom with two Peacekeepers per group.

But the thing that shocked Vera the most was the lack of chains on Treech. 

As she walked into the room and noticed Treech's free hands and ankles, she let out a smile. Treech let out a small chuckle as he tipped his hat.

"You know, this is the first time we've been allowed near each other without some sort of barrier," said Treech as he walked to meet Vera in the middle.

"Now hold on now, don't forget the train station," Vera replied, holding up a finger as she described their very first meeting.

"Oh, you mean when you snuck into the train station without your school's permission? I don't know if I count that, Darling. It's not like they planned to have me unchained around you," Treech teased as he furrowed his brows.

"Hey I wasn't the only one," Vera shot back.

"Oh yes, your blonde friend came too," said Treech, his smile slightly dropping.

"You don't like him very much I take it?" Vera asked with a questioning glance. 

"Am I meant to?" 

"I guess not," said Vera, but her curiosity remained, "But why don't you?"

Treech glanced around the room with a sigh.

"It's just a feeling, I guess," mumbled Treech, "Everything he does just feels like a performance."