08 | Hospital Visits

It took a full day and many tests later for Vera to finally wake up again, this time in a hospital bed

As soon as her eyes opened, Vera tried to sit up with a grunt, holding her head in pain as her eyes adjusted to the light.

"You're awake!" Sejanus observed, appearing by her side.

"My head hurts," said Vera, unable to think about anything but the pulsing in her brain.

"I mean, you did get hit in the head with concrete. Treech has been worrying for you. He spent the entire time leaving the arena screaming for you, you know," Sejanus admitted.

"He did? Is he okay? Is he hurt?" asked Vera, sitting up straighter and groaning again at the pain.

"He's fine, but he's still freaking out. He's been begging the Peacekeepers about you, but no one will talk," Sejanus answered, causing Vera to scoff.

"So he just has no idea where I am?" Vera replied. Sejanus just nodded.

"Help me up, I need to get to the zoo," Vera insisted, holding out her hand.

"Don't be ridiculous. You're not going to the zoo. You need to get home," Sejanus argued.

"Sejanus-"

"Vera, you haven't even been awake for 10 minutes. There's no way they're going to let you leave," Sejanus shot back, pointing toward the medics in the hallway.

"You can help me convince them I'm fine," Vera replied, trying her best to look composed, smiling to hide her gritted teeth.

"No-"

"Please, Sejanus, I'll be quick. I just need to make sure he's alright."

But still, Sejanus didn't budge.

"You can come with me to make sure I don't stay too long." Vera bargained, practically begging her friend. Sejanus scoffed and shook his head, but Vera refused to give up, sending her best friend a desperate look.

Sejanus huffed as he looked back at the medics, before nodding.

"Fine, but I'm coming."

-

"Treech!" Vera yelled as she made her way toward the fence. Treech had already been perched on one of the boulders when Vera arrived, exhausted, but unwilling to sleep.