19 | The Handkerchief

Nothing else seemed to happen for a while after Treech's appearance

Nothing else seemed to happen for a while after Treech's appearance. At one point, Teslee came out to collect another drone, but other than that, the arena was fairly silent.

That was until later in the afternoon. When Reaper appeared from the stands. 

Slowly, the boy from Eleven approached the bodies in the center, unable to make sense of it all. Especially Lamina. The girl who had shown him nothing but kindness earlier that morning.

After dazing off for a while, Reaper finally sprang into action, picking up Lamina's body gently before walking her over to where Bobbin and Marcus lay. Afterward, he did the same with Tanner, Dill, and Sol, arranging the tributes into his own makeshift morgue. 

And then, he ripped down another part of the flag -- once again earning a loud gasp from the audience and draped it over the bodies as if to say; here lie the children of the districts, slaughtered by the Capitol.

Then, he shook out the ripped flag he had given to Lamina earlier in the day before tying it around him like a cape. Reaper seemed to grow strength wearing Lamina's flag -- having enough energy to run around before retreating back to the stands exhausted. 

"He sure likes to make a scene," Urban had commented, shaking his head.

"He's making a statement," replied Vera, "It's his way of fighting the games."

"Maybe he should focus on the actual games," Clemmie spat, twitching slightly after. She was still clearly not herself. 

"Oh for heaven's sake, at least feed him, Clemmie!" Festus cried out, annoyed at Clemmie's erratic behavior.

"Mind your business, Festus," Clemmie shot out, venom dripping from her lips.

Slowly, Vera approached her, putting a hand on her arm in comfort as Festus muttered the word 'heartless' under his breath.

"Are you okay, Clemmie?" Vera asked, concern evident on her face. For a moment, Vera could see Clemmie's eyes filled with pain as she melted into Vera's warmth before turning right back to that icy gaze she'd held for the past few days.

"I'm fine," Clemmie replied, pulling her arm away as she faced the screen again.