07 | The Arena

The next day brought Arachne's excessively, luxurious funeral

The next day brought Arachne's excessively, luxurious funeral. Coryo had been chosen to sing the anthem and showered with heroic praises. But, all Vera got were pitiful looks. Great, Everyone thinks I'm pathetic, she thought as she took her place next to Sejanus.

"You okay?" asked Sejanus, leaning in so only she could hear.

"I'm good. Just want this to be over with," she replied with a huff, downing a glass of Posca.

"Should you really be drinking this early?" Sejanus questioned with a laugh, but Vera just shook her head.

"I might need it for this shitshow."

 But before Sejanus could reply, Coryo began to sing and the ceremony began.

Gem of Panem
Mighty city
Through the ages you shine anew

Vera's eyes teared up as she and Sejanus fought back holding back their laughter at the sheer absurdity of it all. At one point during President Ravinstill's speech, Vera couldn't hold her tongue anymore.

"Her death was as valiant as any on the battlefield, her loss more profound as we claim to be at peace," said the president in all seriousness. And from the looks on everyone's faces, Vera could tell they all believed it.

"You'd think she's a war hero with that speech," Vera whispered to Sejanus as the boy tried to suppress a laugh.

"I still have no idea what he means by getting justice," Sejanus whispered back with an eye roll at the extravagant speech.

"I guess we're about to find out," Vera replied, as the 'mourners' rounded the corner for the funeral procession. In front was a large battalion of Peacekeepers, but what really grabbed everyone's attention was what was behind them.

Vera's eyes widened in shock, covering her mouth in horror as she watched a truck containing all the other tributes in it, chained and dirty, pull up behind them. Everything got even worse when she noticed the dangling body of Brandy hanging above them.

"What the fuck," Vera stammered as her body went stiff and her feet stopped moving. Her eyes remained glued on the young girl, watching her body sway in horror as her mind played the events from a few days before. 

And once again, Vera's hands shook ferociously as she recalled the red blood from Brandy and Arachne on her skin, the image so vivid that she didn't even notice Sejanus's arm wrap around her. 

 And then, Dr. Gaul began to speak.

"Arachne Crane, we, your fellow citizens of Panem, vow that your death will not be in vain," spoke Dr. Gaul with a vindictive glimmer in her eye, finally drawing Vera out of her trance.