13 | The Last Time

The next day Vera found herself in Heavensbee Hall for one more meeting with Treech before the games tomorrow

The next day Vera found herself in Heavensbee Hall for one more meeting with Treech before the games tomorrow. Vera sighed heavily as she walked into the room, once again noticing the chains around his wrists. It was nice while it lasted, Vera thought.

"Beautiful day, isn't it?" Treech tried to joke, but the tension in the room prevailed. Vera let out a small smile as she sat down, placing her hand on Treech's.

"How are you?" Vera asked, struggling to face the reality of it all. By tomorrow, Treech will fight for his life in the arena while Vera is forced to sit back and watch. 

And yet, she couldn't imagine the boy in front of her going through that. And she certainly didn't want to. Not when she'd grown so attached to him.

Treech, however, seemed much calmer than Vera. While Vera's eyes avoided Treech, Treech's eyes begged for her attention. 

"As fine as I can be," he whispered back, squeezing her hand slightly, "Everyone seems to be feeling it, I guess. Even Reaper gathered us all last night and started spewing nonsense about how he's sorry for having to kill us in the arena." 

"I'm sure it's just his way of coming to terms with it," Vera replied, looking up at Treech solemnly.

"I'm sure it is," Treech replied, "We all have our ways to cope."

"And how are you coping?" asked Vera, tilting her head as she looked at him like he was the only thing she cared about. 

"I think of my family. How they need me back home. And how everything I do will be for them," Treech admitted, before looking down, "But every time I try to justify it, something else always gets in the way."

"What's stopping you?"

"I'm scared," whispered Treech, eyes flickering down to their hands.

"Of dying?" asked Vera, squeezing his hand in comfort. Treech only smiled bitterly.

"Somewhat," Treech admitted, "But what I'm most scared of is that you'll never forgive me for who I become in that arena. That even if I do get out, I will no longer be myself and you'll hate me."

Vera's heart broke at Treech's words. No matter what he's done or what he'll do, Vera could never hate him. And she'd always forgive him. But Treech would never know that and she couldn't have him worrying about her when he's supposed to be saving himself.