18 | Losing Dogs

I need to check on Treech, Vera thought as she stormed into the auditorium, ignoring the stares people sent her way

I need to check on Treech, Vera thought as she stormed into the auditorium, ignoring the stares people sent her way. Frantically, Vera scanned the screen for any sign of Treech. None.

Maybe he's in hiding. His stats still seem to be up and running.

With a sigh of relief, Vera let herself collapse into her seat, clutching her stitches as a searing pain shot through her wound.

"What happened to you?" Festus joked, but Vera could tell by the concern in his eyes that it really wasn't much of a joke. 

Instinctively, Vera's eyes flew down to her side where her shirt had been ripped and bloody. Vera quickly tried to cover it up with her arms, but Festus had already seen it.

"Bike accident," Vera muttered, shrinking in on herself. Festus shook his head, taking off his jacket to give to her. He clearly didn't believe her, but he didn't press.

"You need to be careful," Festus teased, ruffling her hair as he handed her his jacket, "There. To cover it up."

"Thank you," Vera muttered, throwing the jacket on with a grateful smile.

"Woah," Festus mumbled, "Coryo looks rough too."

Vera quickly turned around, seeing a tired and disheveled Coriolanus. Vera clenched her jaw, sinking further into her seat as Coriolanus approached.

"Vera," Coriolanus muttered, trying to catch her attention "I see you made it."

Vera only ignored him, keeping her gaze toward the screen.

"How could I miss it?" Vera shot back, paying him no mind.

"What happened to your face?" Festus asked the boy. Coriolanus tensed but smiled nonetheless.

"Crashed my bicycle," Coriolanus responded, eyes still on Vera. Vera scoffed. Of course, he used the same excuse.

Festus furrowed his brows as he looked between the two, but stayed quiet.

"Awkward," Festus muttered, "Trouble in paradise, I see."

"Funny coming from you," Coriolanus shot back with a playful grin, but Vera could tell he wasn't joking.