09 | The Ring Twins

"You don't have to resort to tricks to get food, you know?" Vera called out toward Treech as she noticed the boy juggling three walnuts

"You don't have to resort to tricks to get food, you know?" Vera called out toward Treech as she noticed the boy juggling three walnuts. Treech immediately stopped once he heard her voice, head turning in her direction.

"Hello to you too, Darling. What's with the glasses?" Treech teased as he walked over to her, pretending to tap the invisible glasses on his face.

"New fashion statement, do you like them?" Vera joked, holding up her hands below her chin to frame her face. Treech chuckled and shook his head.

"I don't know. Now they're hiding your beautiful eyes," he joked back with a playful frown.

"Oh really? Is this better?" teased Vera as she pulled the shades down so he could see her eyes, wincing slightly at the light. Treech chuckled at first but quickly stopped when he noticed her pain.

"Alright, put them back on before you hurt yourself," he instructed.

"Yes, sir," Vera responded as she pushed them back up, sighing in relief.

"Wait, I almost forgot," Vera spoke again, digging in her bag for some food, "I brought lunch."

Treech smiled as he took the sandwich she offered from her hands, gesturing toward the ground.

"Shall we?"

With a laugh, Vera sat down, smiling as Treech joined her. As Treech bit into the sandwich, he let out an exaggerated hum, causing Vera to laugh again.

"Even with an injury, you still manage to make the best food," he joked, shaking his head.

"You're just saying that so I'll keep feeding you," teased Vera as she bit into her food.

"Maybe. Or maybe I actually mean it. I guess you'll never know," he teased back, causing her to playfully roll her eyes. For the next few minutes, the two ate in silence, simply enjoying each other's company until the food dwindled.

"Has anything happened today?" Vera asked, breaking the silence. Treech's eyes fell to the ground with a huff.

"The boy and girl from District 9 died," Treech began as he frustratedly played with his hands, "The vet apparently tried her best, but it was too much for her to handle. She begged to send them to a hospital, but the Peacekeepers refused and then eventually, they died."