EPILOGUE.

Vera quickly learned to love District Seven, though it had been a bit difficult to adjust initially

Vera quickly learned to love District Seven, though it had been a bit difficult to adjust initially. The days were longer and the work was way harder than in the Capitol, especially in the early mornings. But that made everything else so much sweeter.

In particular, Vera loved the late afternoons when she and Treech's mom finished work for the day and came home to begin cooking for supper while the guys continued their work in the field until sunset.

But today had been an extra special day. Tilli's birthday. Which meant Vera finally got to learn the famous stew recipe that Treech spoke so highly of.

"If it isn't my two favorite people," Treech greeted as he made his way into the kitchen, tipping his hat before taking it off and placing it on one of the hooks, "Learn anything special from mom yet?"

Vera only laughed, rolling her eyes as she continued to cut up some potatoes for Treech's mom.

"I always do."

"I'll have you know Vera's taught me a thing or two as well," his mom defended, causing Vera to smile brightly at her. It had been hard for Vera at first, moving to a new place where most people didn't like her. But Treech's mom always had her back. Especially after Treech kept insisting that Vera was the only reason he survived.

"Vera!" Tilli shouted as she came running inside, immediately making her way to the older girl's side. Vera let out a laugh as she hugged the girl back, causing Treech to scoff playfully.

"No hug for your brother then?" Treech whined with a pout. Tilli ignored him, rolling her eyes at his comment before turning back to Vera.

"Can we go to the pond? Please?"

Before Vera could say anything, their mom answered for her.

"It's alright, dear. I'll finish up here. You take Tilli and Treech here to the pond."

"Okay, go get changed. I'll meet you outside."

-

"Vera!" Tilli called as she played in the water, making her way over to the older girl who had been chilling by the grass, "Come splash Treech with me."

Vera let out a chuckle as she looked over to Treech, who was currently crouched down by some water lilies, before nodding and quietly approaching the boy.

'3.2.1' Vera whispered, earning a laugh from Tilli, before the two began their attack, splashing rapidly as Treech let out a yelp in shock.

"Hey!" Treech called out as he tried to splash them both back. But it was no use.

"I give up! I give up!" Treech yelled with a laugh as he covered his face. Eventually, the two stopped splashing, falling into the water from laughing too hard.

"You're a bad influence, you know that?" Treech joked as he sat down in the grass exhaustedly. Vera let out a laugh before joining him.

"I know. Learned from the best," Vera teased back, causing Treech to laugh..

"You doing okay?" Vera asked after a moment of silence, turning to face Treech as she tried to examine his expression, "You came home early today."

"Another snake," Treech replied, turning away in embarrassment, "I don't know. I just can't be in the forest anymore without freaking out."

"Oh, Treech-"

"It's everything. The snakes. The sound of the axe. The nightmares. I just can't stop thinking about all those tributes. I killed them, Vera. They died because of me," Treech muttered, looking down at the ground. Vera let out a sigh as she grabbed onto his hand, squeezing tightly.

"No, Treech. The Capitol killed them. It's what they do, okay? You don't have to feel this burden alone," Vera replied as she placed a hand on his cheek with a sad smile.

Treech looked at Vera for a moment before clearing his throat, realizing that Tilli was playing just a few feet away.

"What did I do to deserve you, Darling, hm?" Treech muttered with a small smile. Vera only laughed, pulling her hand off his face and placing it on top of his again.

"I don't know. That lumberjack charm worked on me, huh?" Vera teased, easing the tension as she shoved his shoulder. The two laughed for a minute before Treech reached into his bag.

"Oh, I almost forgot," said Treech, handing Vera a letter with a smile, "This just came for you."

Vera quickly grabbed onto the letter, smiling as she recognized the handwriting. Handing the letter back to Treech with a knowing look.

"Will you read it to me?"

Treech playfully rolled his eyes before turning back to the paper.

My favorite Baker,

I'm sorry it's been so long since my last letter, things have been quite hectic. I'm writing to you now from District 12 with Coryo as a Peacekeeper. But, things are going as well as they can be. There's a Hob here in Twelve where Coryo and I go to hang out. Lucy Gray's Covey performs here every week as well. Coryo seems to have grown rather fond of them since Lucy Gray's passing. I think he's just trying to make it up to them because he feels guilty. I think he misses you too, but he doesn't want to admit it. Whatever happened to you guys anyway?

Never mind, you don't have to answer that. How are you? Are you well? Is Treech well? I'm glad to hear that you're getting on well with Treech's mom and sister. Hopefully, others come around soon. And I'm glad you're adjusting well now. Trust me, I know how hard it can be to completely uproot your life. But, I'm sure it'll all be worth it for you.

Anyway, I miss you more every day. I hope I can see you soon. I've been studying hard to become a medic. All I have left is to get through the last part of basic training and then, I can start training to become a medic. Then maybe I can see you again.

Please take care of yourself. I love you,

Your favorite (almost) Medic

Vera let out a hum as she listened to Treech speak, soaking in Sejanus's letter. Everything was as it should be.

"Everything okay?" Treech asked as he folded up the letter. Vera smiled as she sat back, leaning herself on Treech's chest.

"Everything's perfect."

-

a/n:

and we've finally reached the end guys :( thank you guys for reading I appreciate all that you've done for me. It means so much to me that you guys have stuck with me this long with all your comments and support,,, truly it's been my motivation.

I will say, there is still one more chapter that is a tragic alternate ending, but if you prefer the happy ending, this sadly is the last chapter </3

If you want to continue reading my work, I am currently working on a Festus fic that will begin posting soon AND I have an ongoing Cato fic as well (which is sadly almost done as well)

again, thank you so much for reading. feel free to message me if you want to keep in contact and see what I'm up to as well as check out my tiktok @/seungielovebot for any updates.

love you guys sm,

hannah <3