04 | Dr. Gaul

The next day, the mentors were all given fifteen minutes to meet with their tribute at the Academy

The next day, the mentors were all given fifteen minutes to meet with their tribute at the Academy. Vera felt a chill go down her spine as she watched the tributes walk in, arms and legs chained in heavy shackles, only for them to be chained to the tables as well.

"Excuse me," Vera asked one of the Peacekeepers watching over her and Treech, "Would it be possible to have these removed?"

"I'm afraid not, Ms. Whitestone. It's for your safety. I'm sure you understand." 

"Of course," Vera responded, flaring her nostrils before turning her attention back toward Treech.

"I'm sorry," Vera whispered, frowning at the boy in front of her.

"I wasn't expecting anything from it," Treech mumbled, sinking slightly in his chair. Vera frowned, gently placing her hand over his. Treech tensed, but let her keep her hand there nonetheless.

"Go ahead, ask your questions," Treech instructed reluctantly, nodding toward the paperwork. 

"Okay, let's see. The first is just basic questions. Like your name and district. I'll just write that in myself," Vera started, writing down her answers. Treech raised her eyebrows as she did so.

"Okay, next. Age. Oh, I never asked how old you were," Vera rambled, covering her mouth in embarrassment. Treech once again seemed to enjoy Vera's frantic behavior.

"18," Treech answered, causing Vera to still.

"Me too," Vera replied, glancing up from her paperwork and into his eyes. 

He was her age. And yet, she couldn't imagine herself in his position. The thought alone made Vera's eyes begin to tear as once again, she was reminded of the fact that these were children. Both she and Treech were the same age, yet one of them was assigned to death while the other was assigned a school project.

"Vera?" Treech called out to her, slightly squeezing her hand to get her attention with furrowed brows. Vera cleared her throat before speaking again. 

"Sorry. Let's continue. Okay, what about your family?" Vera mumbled, drawing her eyes back to her paper.

"That would be my parents and two siblings," Treech responded as he watched her write.