12 | The Beauty of War

After Treech's interview had wrapped, Vera finally realized that she had to write that terrible essay about the pleasures of war

After Treech's interview had wrapped, Vera finally realized that she had to write that terrible essay about the pleasures of war. She stayed up all night trying to find something to say, even attempting to bug her busy parents with the assignment, but of course, she didn't like their answers. In the end, she couldn't seem to come up with anything plausible to say and settled on:

things I liked about the war:

1) my cat

Vers then proceeded to follow up her essay with a list of reasons for why she hated war. The destruction. the creation of the games. The bloodshed.

She didn't care whether or not Dr. Gaul reprimanded her. Dr. Gaul wasn't even one of her professors anyway. All she knew was that there was no way she was going to lie to please that vile woman.

So, when it came time to read their essays, Vera sat proudly, waiting for her turn.

"Did you write your essay?" asked Festus as he took a seat next to her.

"Sure did. But, it's kind of short," Vera replied

"Oh really?" asked Festus with a confused look, "I had plenty of things to say."

"Gross, Festus. Really?" Lysistrata cut in, sitting with the two.

Before Festus could respond though, Dr. Gaul cut in, bringing up their essays. Instead of collecting them like their other professors usually do though, she forced them all to read bits and pieces in front of the entire class.

Most of Vera's classmates touched on their admiration for the 'courage' of the soldiers or the unity they felt when the Capitol held their many victory parades. Even Coryo seemed to struggle with this assignment, telling a story instead of listing reasons.

Everything seemed to go downhill when it was Sejanus's turn though.

"Mr. Plinth," said Dr. Gaul, turning toward Sejanus with a disdained look, "What did you write in your essay."

Sejanus clenched his jaw as he looked from his paper to Dr. Gaul, but then, he pursed his lips and held up his paper.

"The only thing I loved about the war was the fact that I still lived at home," Sejanus admitted, showing no emotion as he spoke. The classroom immediately broke out into chaos.

'He did not just say that!'

'Go back to Two then! We don't want you here!'

'We wouldn't miss you!'

Vera rolled her eyes at her classmates, letting out a scoff loud enough for Dr. Gaul to hear.

"And you, Ms. Whitestone? What did you write?" asked Dr. Gaul, directing everyone's attention toward Vera. Vera looked up with a laugh before looking at her paper.