10 | Fights

As Sejanus had expected, preparations for the games continued to go on

As Sejanus had expected, preparations for the games continued to go on. The day after the Ring twins' funeral, all mentors were once again instructed to wait in Heavensbee Hall for a meeting with their tribute. This time though, the topic of discussion was the interview.

"Treech," Vera greeted, sending the boy a smile as she sat down and instinctively placed her hand on his.

"Vera," Treech greeted back as he nodded his head and pulled his hands back. Vera frowned in confusion but decided to brush it off, paying attention to her notebook.

"So for your-" said Vera as she cleared her throat, but before she could even finish, she was interrupted.

"No, I don't see why I shouldn't be given a new tribute. It's not my fault they died," Vera heard Livia Cardew shouting at one of the Peacekeepers, drawing her attention. And not only did Livia's voice draw Vera's attention, it also drew the entire hall's attention.

"Ms. Cardew, I assure you, we would if we could, but there simply will be no switching," the Peacekeeper responded, earning a scoff from Livia.

"This is so unfair," Livia exclaimed, "Clemensia isn't even here. She's out with the flu."

"Sit down, Livia. Some of us are trying to have a conversation," Vera spoke up, sick of hearing so much talking.

"Well, why don't you switch with me, Vera? Since you hate the games so much, why don't I take your tribute off your hands," Livia replied, making her way over to Vera. Vera scoffed before standing up.

"And why would I do that?" Vera laughed out. Livia smirked before leaning closer.

"You know, it might be a little hard for you watching pretty boy die in the arena. What, with you being in love with him and all," Livia whispered to Vera so only she could hear. 

Vera's blood boiled and before she could think, she was shoving Livia on the ground and being held back by two Peacekeepers from doing it again.

"Touch a nerve, Vera?" Livia teased, but Vera could see her wincing from pain.

"Why? Wanna go again?" Vera replied, trying to shove the Peacekeepers off her.

"That's enough. Livia, sit down and stop talking. Vera, focus on your tribute. And keep your hands to yourself," Highbottom cut in, suddenly appearing next to the girls. Finally, the Peacekeepers let her go, instead forcing her to sit down and face Treech.