Chapter 5

Elias p.o.v

The run was going along smoothly, we didn't run into any unwanted guests like Jabbers or Haggards. I was browsing the isles of a decrepit pharmaceutical building, looking for something they described as an odd form of pain meds. Though I really doubt they'd keep morphine on the shelves, because according to Doc it's quite strong and highly addictive.

Doc was messing with an earpiece of sorts, all the while grumbling about how Tink and her inventions aren't very reliable. Snow was in the back with Charming while Red kept watch. I was curious about something so I picked my way across the crumbling floor to Doc.

"What do you need, Peter?" He asked gruffly, still fiddling with the small device.

"I wanted to ask you about Red. Why isn't she very talkative like the rest of you?"

"She joined us as a child, like the rest of us, but she had been with another group down in what used to be Virginia. She was the only survivor of a Jabber attack. She watched many friends and family members be eaten alive." Wow, that's quite a backstory. So sad.

"One more thing, why are you guys named after fairy tale characters? Snow, Charming, Doc, Red, Tink, Tigerlilly. They're all characters in stories my mom told me when I was young." He gave me a weird stare, like I spoke in another language suddenly. I can, but I don't think I suddenly switched to Portugese or anything.

"Those fairy tales are over 7,000 years old. How does your mom know about them?" I shrugged in indifference and thought up something. I can't let them know that my mom was alive that far back, they'd think I'm insane and kill me.

"I'm not sure, maybe they passed them on over the years." I shrugged again and nonchalantly walked away. Snow and Charming returned from the back, a backpack filled to the bursting point with different kinds of meds and vitamins.

"Did you find the morphine?" Asked Snow as she rounded the corner, eyeing me in curiosity.

"No, I don't think this tiny place would carry such a strong painkiller. Possibly a hospital." She nodded and turned to shout to Doc my findings. I smelled new people on the breeze that floated in through the broken front window. A glint of metal caught my attention and I saw a boy with a crossbow aiming for the highly distracted Snow.

I didn't even think, I just reacted. I shouted her name and jumped between her and the oncoming arrow. I felt a stinging pain lance through my left shoulder and my breath dissipated from my lungs. Another thudded into Charming's lower abdomen and one into Doc's upper thigh. I didn't see if Red was hit. I wrapped my arms around Snow's small frame and held my wrists in a death grip.

"Grab the girls!" I heard a boy huff and I tensed to retaliate against anyone who got close enough. I estimate four boys surrounded Snow and I, all smirking with sadistic glee. I grabbed Snow's arms, wrapped them around my waist, and leaned down to whisper in her ear.

"No matter what, don't let go." She fearfully nodded and hid her face in my sternum.

"Awe, how cute. Is she your girlfriend, boy?" I glared at the teen to my front right as he spoke mockingly. He had a small handgun and a large hunting knife. I didn't bother with facial details, to me, they were all dead men.

"Take one more step and you'll regret it." They chuckled at my threat.

"And how you plan on fulfilling that threat? You have no weapons, it's four against one, and you have that whore dragging you down." I bristled at the name he called Snow. I can feel that I was on the edge of going Dragon.

"Don't you dare call her that!" He raised his hands in mock surrender, smirking and the other laughing.

"She might not be one now, but trust me, she'll have been screwed so much by nightfall she won't be able to think straight. Her and the other one." So they did get Red. Rage surged through my veins. I reached back and yanked out the arrow, knowing it'll heal within seconds of being removed. Tossing the projectile to the floor, I shake my shoulders loose and smile darkly at the boy who was talking.

"Let's get started." He smiled and fired the gun at me, aiming for my heart. I let the bullet come and shatter on my translucent scales. Most Dragons would've died, the place over their chest being the most vulnerable. But due to the fact that I'm both a magical Dragon and the son of the powerful Peter Pan, I've enhanced the scales with magic to be as strong as the rest of them.

"Ooo, that tickled. Do it again, maybe I'll laugh next time." I knew that'd scare him. I looked at him through Dragon slit eyes and toothily smile. He stared in horror before ordering a mass attack, finally some fun.

One sliced at my back with a machete, but it bounced off harmlessly. Using my clawed hands, I swipe back and cut cleanly through his shirt and skin, leaving four, clean cuts on his chest. I used my reserves of magic and created a scimitar to clash with a boy's katana in the air. I made a two foot dagger and stab him in his abdomen. Two down, two to go. Another gunshot rang out and shatters on my upper shoulder, dangerously close to Snow, who whimpers and grips harder around my waist. I wind an arm around her thin shoulders in assurance.

"You're okay, Snow, I won't let them take you." The last two boys chuckled darkly and ready their weapons. I ready mine and the battle thunders on. The boy with the crossbow aimed at me. It's like the game Dare at home I played with dad and Uncle Felix.

I smile a toothy smile and motion for him to shoot. He complies and the arrow whizzed through the air. I snatched it from the air at the last possible second and toss it to the floor, much to the horror of the two boys.

"Forget this. No way I'm dying just to screw a girl!" The crossbow boy scrambled around me and out the front door.

"And then there was one." I say in a sing song way, still smiling darkly. He raised his gun and fired, the bullet shattering against my throat. "And I thought you've learned that didn't work." I tsk-ed and raised my sword in preparation for battle. He grabbed up the dead boy's katana and did the same.

"I'm going to kill you for this. Nobody tells us no and lives!"

"And you are whom, exactly?"

"We're called the Black Pirates. Most feared male group in what's left of America."

"So a bunch of horny bullies. Not all that fear-inspiring if you ask me. More like a bunch of children throwing tantrums when you don't get your way." He growled and lunged sloppily at my arm. I dodged and slapped his hand with the flat of my blade. This was the case for nearly 15 minutes until he tired out, hands bloody from being hit with a sword.

"Now, you have two choices. Run and live as a childish coward or stay and die a childish coward. Choose fast or I choose for you." He immediately dropped his borrowed blade and fled.
My weapons dissipated and I look down at the terrified Snow. I slowly pry her hands apart and she tumbles to the floor. I catch her and keep her steady.

"Hey, it's okay. They left, you're safe. Shhh." After she calmed down, we freed Red and gathered the injured and meds to take back to Base.

"Peter, you're bleeding." Said Snow as she poked my shoulder. I flinched and hissed out air in pain. Shouldn't that have healed? Why didn't it? What's happening to my body?