Chapter 21

Elias p.o.v

"Everyone, hang on!" I shout before tucking in my wings and plummeting down after the unconscious female. Her hair snapped in random directions as she fell through the air towards the earth below. She was falling too fast for me to catch up to her with everyone on my back. With this knowledge, I used my magic to equip everyone with parachutes before flipping over and letting them fall from me with shrieks of terror.

"Elias?!" Snow screams at me as she fell. The betrayal in her voice stung my heart.

"Pull the cord!" She figured out what I was talking about and informed the others to do the same so they could float safely to the ground. With the weight gone, I could shift down into my hybrid body to become more streamlined to reach Reine quicker. I noticed there was a lake close by and would be a safer place for us to land than the ground.

I could finally reach out and grab her but I was almost too close to the water surface. I turned to my side and quickly enlarged to my full Dragon form before smacking down into the waves. I protected Reine from being crushed by the impact of hitting water from so high, but my left wing was forced to take the brunt of the blow and I could feel my bones shatter against my side. I use my unbroken wing to propel us towards the surface for needed air. Once Reine was above the waves I snapped around to look for somewhere to swim towards for safety. The trees lined the shore so there was no buffer of safety between the liquid and the Jabbers but I could see a small island towards the middle of the lake.

It took me almost an hour to reach the island with one wing and my back legs but I made it and hauled us both up onto the sandy beach. I was forced down into my hybrid form since the wing was shattered. Checking on Reine I made sure she was breathing before I decided to take a break and check on the damage done to my wing. There were multiple compound bone breaks poking through the leathery skin and dripping blood from the jagged tips.

"This is going to take forever with my powers failing me." I hold out my hand over my wing and urge it to heal quicker. It did next to nothing in the healing factor, only pushed the broken bones back into my skin and closed up the openings but did nothing for the bone itself. With the injuries contained for now, I turned to Reine to see why she had passed out and fallen off.

Doc said her bite was clean but maybe he was wrong. I slice her jeans up her leg to expose the wounds on her thigh. Doc was wrong, he was very wrong. The wound she suffered from the monster at the lake was now a bright red color that was beginning to turn purple and black around the punctures that oozed with a sickly yellow puss.

"Elias?" Her quiet voice caught my ears and I looked up to see her eyes livid and glazed over with pain.

"Hey, love, about time you woke up."

"Where is everyone else?"

"We got separated from them when you decided to go skydiving."

"I what?" She tried to push up into a sitting position, getting about halfway up before her strength gave out on her. I snapped out my hand and caught her around the wrists to help pull her upright.

"Yeah, you just dropped off and I had to catch you but everyone couldn't stay on. I made sure they landed fine and weren't just tumbling through the sky." She stared at me for a few long seconds before she realized I hadn't fully changed to my human skin.

"Why are you halfway human?" I had my wings, tail, and horns stuck out through my hair along with sharpened senses.

"That would be the fault of hitting water from high distances. I shattered my bones in my wing so it can't go away until it heals." She slowly nodded and looked down at her leg with horror.

"Good god! That's disgusting!"

"That's your leg, love. I have to find healing herbs for this so you'll be alone for a bit. I'm moving you to a more protected place and I'll give you a sword while I'm gone. You are not allowed to move from that spot, am I understood?"

"Fine. Lets just get away from the water before there's another monster coming out to eat me." I smirk at her hazy sass before I scoop her up and search for a good place for her to hide out until I returned. I found a small rock overhang and slid her underneath the stone cover before sliding back to make sure she was truly alright there.

"Okay, I'll be right back, love. Promise." I drew out a sword and wrapped her hand around the hilt before stepping out from the overhang and going on the search for healing herbs for her leg. I had found a few of them buried in a muddy pit and picked some before an ear-piercing scream caused my heart to stop. I grabbed up a huge handful of mud and plants before sprinting back to Reine and the overhang.

"Reine?" Her glazed eyes turned towards my voice and she swung the sword at my knees. I jumped out of the way and snatched the sword from her hands.

"Get it away from me!"

"Get what away from you, there's nothing here but me." Without the sword she started to freak out and try to stand up on her own. This notion got me to rush to her side and drop the glob of earth I ripped up before using one hand to hold her wrists together then the other to cup her cheek to get her to look at me.

"Reine, love, there is nothing there. You're starting to hallucinate from the fever. Breathe and calm down." She was still hyperventilating, so I released her wrists to use both hands to hold her face close to mine so she could hear my even breathing in hopes that she'll follow suit. Reine soon calmed down enough I wasn't afraid of her hurting herself and so I turned to healing her leg.

The roots of the plants are good to eat and the stems and leaves were what I needed to chew up and put on her leg. It all has to go on at once, so I shoved all the leaves in my mouth and tried not to choke on the paste I made before leaning down and running my paste coated tongue across her skin until I covered the entire space of the injured skin with the paste.

I spit out the leftovers and swipe my tongue over my shirt until I couldn't taste the bitterness any longer. With her wounds covered, I moved to the mouth of the cave to stand guard for the night. A hand to my arm caused me to look back and see that Reine was reaching out for me. I slide backwards and lean against the rock wall beside her, surprised when she leaned over and cuddled close to my side with her head against my chest.

"Do you think everyone else is okay?"

"Of course they will be, they have Red and Charming with them. They're smart. They'll be alright until you get better." She numbly nodded and was soon asleep against me, hitching every so often as the herbs worked to eat away the fester in her leg.

"Sleep well, Reine." I leaned over and gently kissed her heated skin before stretching out my shattered wing and settling down for the night. It wasn't long until my eyelids began to slide closed and we were both asleep curled together in the overhang, hoping and praying that the others would be alright without us.