Chapter 6

As soon as we made it back to Base, the girl was on us like crows to a rotting corpse, firing questions at us quicker than any of us could answer. I reached over and took Charming's arm from Snow and draped it over me and Doc I was carrying. His elbow dug into my arrow wound that still hasn't repaired itself.

"I can carry Charming, Peter. Besides you're carrying Doc as well and you're shot." I smirked lightly and quickly pressed my lips to her forehead.

"I'm fine. And I think that she'll be asking you all the questions since Red and I are busy." I softly chuckle at her pink face and help Red carry them down to the infirmary. Doc attempts to stand but Red restrained him with a hand on his thin shoulder.

"Hey, Peter, start stitching and disinfecting. Red can you get the meds?" We both curtly nod and start our jobs. I started with Charming, quickly removing the arrow and cleaning then dressing the hole. I then moved to Doc, who watched me with high scrutiny.

"You're pretty good at this, Peter."

"I had to know how, especially at home, people were always being shot or stabbed or cut."

"Where are you from exactly?"

"Far away." He inspected me intently, running my words through his head as he decided whether he liked my answer or not. I finished with his treatment when Snow came into the room, having finished her interrogation with the girl.

"Is everyone alright?" She looked at the two on the operation table. They nodded and she turned her eyes to me. I shrug one shoulder, unwilling to move my injured shoulder and cause myself pain.

"Come on, Peter, you could get an infection. Or worse, attract a Jabber or Haggard." She twirled her finger in the air to tell me to turn and take my shirt off to be treated. I sighed and did as she wanted.

I peel off my shirt and sit in a chair. I jump slightly when her cold fingers brush against my skin. I hiss involuntarily when she poured alcohol into my shot wound. Thankfully, nobody was in front of me or they'd have seen my Dragon slit neon blue eyes and sharp teeth.

"Sorry, Peter. This'll sting a bit." I felt the small pinprick stings as the needle sews the folds of skin together. This is the first time I've ever had to be sewn together before, both my parents having the ability to self-heal.

"All done. Wasn't so bad was it?" I stood and slid my shirt back on.

"Thanks, Snow." She smiled and nodded. A blonde girl with a blue eye and a green eye came running into the room, eyes wide with fear.

"Guys, it's them. It's the Black Pirates. They demand to see Peter." Anger filled my veins, the boys from the pharmacy clear in my mind.

By the end of the night, she'll be screwed so much she won't be able to see straight. Her and the other one.

We run through the house and crowd in the front yard, some glaring at the boys in the street but most looked around in anticipation of an attack. The girl stood as the head of the group.

"Why are you here?" The same boy from the attack on the med run answered her.

"You know why. Someone you keep has killed two of my boys. Nobody does that and lives to see the dawn of another day. Give us the boy and we'll leave you be." She crossed her arms in defiance.

"What if I don't?" He smirked and I knew that's what he wanted to happen.

"Things will get ugly and fast." I shove through and stand between the two groups, facing the group of Pirates.

"You wanted to see me?" The boy smiled devilishly and drew his gun again. Crap, I can't stop these with my scales with everyone watching me. He lightly laughs and points his index finger at me.

"You... You aren't human, you know. No human can get shot three times and not have a scratch to show for it." I picked up faint whispers from the people behind me as he accused me.

"I do have a scratch, left shoulder blade has a hole in it from your arrow." He lofted his gun to face me, aimed at my heart. What am I going to do? I can shift with everyone here.

"I know what I saw. I shot your heart, your shoulder, and your throat but there's not a trace to prove anything. What are you?" I lift my arms like I was as confused as him.

"I'm pretty sure we're called humans. What are you?" He sneers and cocks the hammer.

"Then I'll just prove it." He aims his gun and I realize he isn't aiming for me. Snow and the girl stood beside each other a little to my right. He was going to shoot them. I used my Dragon senses since they couldn't see my face and watched the bullet shoot from the barrel. I can't grab it from the air, I can't use my scales, I cannot Dragon. All I have left is use a small bit of magic to slow it down or change course.

A bullet doesn't just turn in the air either. And if I spare them, I could hit anyone else. I slowed the bullet down so it'll cause much less damage when I jumped in the way. The metal piece thuds into my side between two ribs.

"See!" His triumph turns to bewilderment as I stood, a hand to my left ribcage with blood dripping through my fingers. Turning to the group, I checked for further infliction before the pain set in and I tumble to the dusty ground, blood loss causing me to black out.