Chapter 10

Reine p.o.v

"Peter!" Screams Snow as the boy drops to the green blood of the Grabbers he miraculously killed by himself. She starts forward but I stopped her before she could get anywhere close to the liquid he was pooled in. I was surprised when she turned to me with anger lighting her eyes.

"Why are you stopping me, Reine?! He's dying and you're just going to let him slip away?! He saved our lives!" I glared down at the outspoken redhead as she lectured me. It's not that I want him to die like that- I wouldn't wish that horrible demise on my greatest enemy- but I didn't want Snow getting hurt trying to get him out.

"That's not it, Snow. The blood is acidic so be careful when you reach for him, okay? I'll help you get him out." She kindly smiled and I wondered why in all hell am I doing this. I've seen plenty of people die, why is it that every time Peter is injured, I feel my heart twist and clench while my stomach churned in unnecessary worry.

It was tedious and dangerous work, pulling Peter from the neon blood he was incapacitated inside of. Once we got him safely inside the Base, I closed and locked the door before helping Snow carry his limp body down to Doc's infirmary for emergency treatment.

"Snow, get me a dose of morphine- Lord knows he'll need it to get through the night. Reine, I need all my surgical instruments A.S.A.P." I curtly nod and retrieve the large tray of sharp objects. Setting them on the side table, I was shoo-ed out by Doc and Tink along with Snow.

I left the small redhead to pace and worry outside the infirmary doors, I still have a Base to run and Grabber bodies to safely dispose of after all. Grabbers leave behind a strong odor that'll most definitely attract unwanted Jabbers and Haggards.

I pull on the protective gear used for body disposal and walk around the Base to the side where Peter fought and killed six Grabbers single-handedly. The sight was gross enough to curl even my blood.

Spliced tongues littered the dust, most of the neon blood had soaked into the cracked ground, what hadn't was pooling together into bright green puddles, and bodies were strewn all over- a head along the wall, an arm by my foot.

Using a solar powered chainsaw, I chop the massive Grabbers into pieces small enough to be drug or carried and haul them over the hill. Using an entire container of gas, I lit their bodies ablaze and then sprayed an obscene amount of bleach on the ground where the beasts had originally died to ward off the smell.

I was about to burn the last body when I noticed that huge, round holes covered it. Most were about the size of my hands! What in the world could do this? Most definitely not a sword or arrow, which was all that Peter had when he skulked down the hall after the animal.

I set it on fire and quickly rinsed off the gear before showering myself. Snow was still pacing at the door, biting on her lower lip in worry for the boy. He'll be fine, Doc is the best at his job. What I want to know is how in all hell Peter made such huge holes in the body of the Grabbers- whose skin is nearly as tough as leather.

"Hey, August, what all do you know about Peter?" The boy tapped his chin in deep thought.

"Not much, besides the main gist of him. He can kill Jabbers, Haggards, even Grabbers with unknown ways that are astonishingly effective. He's saved all our lives multiple times. I heard he's unusually good with swords and bows. The Black Pirates hate him for reasons nobody knows. And he doesn't really talk about himself or his past. Why do you ask?" I casually shrug to give the impression that I was just curious.

Won't talk about his past, huh?

It was nearly sundown before Doc finally stepped out of the Base infirmary, a white rag now ranging from pink to deep crimson with Peter's blood in his hands as he scrubbed the taint of the red liquid from his bony fingers. Snow was instantly there along with questions about Peter and his condition.

"He'll live, but it'll be a long night for him and an even longer recovery. He's awake now but he's not fully there, so take it easy on him." Snow nodded before slipping by the white haired teen and into the infirmary to see him. He turned to me, eyes telling me he needed to tell me something in private. We walked nonchalantly over to a quiet hallway.

"You look disturbed, Doc. What's wrong?"

"It's Peter. He's doing amazingly well for a boy who fought six Grabbers all by himself. First, barely any cuts on his body. The last victim was nearly sliced in half but he's barely got a scratch. Second, those bites should've run right through his lungs and entire body at once but I found the tip of a tooth that only went just into his lung, minimal damage inflicted whatsoever. It's downright odd to me, Reine."

"I've been thinking that myself. When I was burning the bodies I noticed one had huge holes the size of my hand. Peter only had a sword and his bow and arrows. Neither can make holes that huge. I think he's hiding something from us. And if he won't tell me, he'll have to leave." Doc nodded in understanding. He knew that secrets like this poses a huge risk to everyone else.

"Then it's settled. Either he tells us or he is exiled when he can fend for himself." Doc left to shower and properly wash his hands of the boy's blood. I went to the infirmary, determined to push away the feelings of guilt at the prospect of having to exile Peter. I need to stop thinking about him like this! It'll only get everyone killed!

I push open the door and walk down the first hall to his designated recovery room. Walking in, I was greeted my the sight of Snow wrapping a pure white bandage around his ribs, Peter being shirtless to show off his fit body- stop that!

"Snow, if you don't mind, I'd like to speak to Peter alone." Her eyes grew wide and she quickly nodded before tying off the bandage and walking out of the room. When I turned back to the boy on the bed, he was smiling with evident sarcasm.

"Couldn't wait to get me alone and shirtless, could you?" Despite being doped up on such a strong drug, he was still snappy and sarcastic. I crossed my arms in firm defiance to answer his snarky comment.

"I want you to tell me the truth. How did you kill those Grabbers?" He lightly laughed and sat up against the headboard of his cot.

"Trade secret, love."

"Not the right answer, Peter. Is that even your name?" He simply stared at me in a medicated daze with a gleam of... anger?

Well, if that's how it has to be...

"If you won't tell the truth, I'll have no choice to exile you to the wasteland." He still blankly stared into my eyes with growing anger. I lost my patience and flipped over the closest table, the medical instruments resting on the table clattering on the stone floor.

"I DON'T HAVE THE PATIENCE FOR YOU AT THIS MOMENT! EITHER YOU TELL ME THE TRUTH ABOUT THE QUESTIONS OR I EXILE YOUR HAUGHTY BEHIND TO THE WASTELANDS!" He finally blinked and looked away to tell me he wasn't going to answer me. I growl in my throat and push away the awful feeling of betrayal towards him.

"Then I guess you leave me with no choice. Peter or whatever your real name is, I hereby exile you from this Base until eternity ends. You are to leave when you are able to defend yourself and you are never allowed to return."

I turn to leave, stopping at the door. I turned to give one final look over my shoulder towards the teen. Sudden and unexpected sadness washed over my heart but I pushed I back. I have no choice, I'm protecting my family and if this is the only way then so be it...

"Goodbye, Peter." I close the door and walk back into the main section of the Base. Snow looked at me with wide eyes filled with fear and worry. Doc stood behind her, eyes imploring me for my verdict on the teen in the infirmary.

"I have come to a verdict. The newcomer Peter has hereby been exiled to the wastelands when he is strong enough." Snow broke down into tears and she ran by me to the infirmary to see Peter. I didn't stop her, she was the closest person to him after all. And he saved her multiple times in the small amount of time he has been here.

I don't like sending people out into the wastelands, it's like sealing their deaths in stone. But this is what's best for the Base, he has too many dark secrets to be healthy for my family. This is what has to be done. 

But, if this is the way it has to be, why does it feel so wrong?