Chapter 20

Reine p.o.v

I slowly awoke to the bright rays of the sun shining over the spinal spikes of Elias in his Dragon form as he called it. I would never admit this to him aloud, but his Dragon form is amazing and wondrously beautiful. The pearly white scales shimmered like opals in the sun and contrasted gorgeously with his electric blue eyes. Even in this body he was lean and lithe beyond belief.

The warmth along my side, according to him, was the fires he could breathe. Maybe that's how he was able to burn that Jabber without a flamethrower or matches. I was the first person to wake up, I always am. I slide out from underneath the sleeping Snow and set her back against his side before stretching and yawning then clambering up his scaled side and over to the water to rinse off somewhat. I knelt down at the water and continually checked for any enemies around me while I lifted my cupped hands of the liquid to my lips. I checked to be sure that it wasn't contaminated in any way before drinking what I held in my hands and tossing some against my skin. The cold water helped cleanse my thoughts of Elias.

A splash caught my attention but when I looked up there was nothing, not even a ripple on the water surface. I must be jumpy after the Base fell apart in the middle of the night and flooded with Jabbers of varying degrees of decomposition. Another splash caught my attention and so I stood and turned in a circle to see what could be causing the splashing sounds. To my left there was beach and a treeline brimming with Jabbers and to my right was an identical picture. Behind me was Elias and everyone else, so that left in front of me.

A white flash in the water caused me to turn towards the light. Another joined it and flashed smartly through the waves lapping at the sand. It wasn't until a jagged smile curled beneath them did I realize it was a huge monster hidden under the water. It shot out at me and clamped down on my thigh with long needle sharp teeth, making me scream in shock and pain.

"Reine?" My scream had woke up Elias and he had lifted his pale head from beside Snow to see what was wrong. His blue eyes caught on to what was happening and so he unfurled from his circle and launched forward at the monster on my leg. He bit down on it, but only succeeded to get us both shocked with a jolt of electricity until he was forced to let go.

Elias changed down to his human body and drew his swords, thought better of it, and pulled off his Viking style now and steel tipped arrows. Before he could get a shot off, it started back slithering into the waves with my leg in its jaws. I clawed at the fine grained sand to try and slow its retreat. He fired off a quick shot and the arrow pierced into its slimy side. This caused it to let go and hiss angrily at the boy. Elias changed back into his huge Dragon self and launched at the beast once more, releasing a blaze of bright blue fire to force it back enough that he could tower over me protectively, loud growls vibrating the air around me.

After a moment of dominance assertions, the monster slithered back into the waters without its prize and a malevolent hiss. Once he was absolutely sure it wasn't returning, he changed back down and knelt by my side.

"Are you alright, Reine?" I nodded and pushed into a sitting position. Elias helped me stand but my weight on my leg made it collapse beneath me. Elias didn't hesitate to scoop me up bridal style to his chest.

"I can walk."

"Obviously not." I huffed indignantly against his shoulder but resigned myself to let him carry me back to the circle to be checked on by Doc. The wry boy concluded that nothing was wrong but it needed to be cleaned and stitched together. He quickly did so and I decided we should leave this particular Great Lake before that beast returned for more of me.

"I think it's time to move on. The Black Pirates are sure to be around here after Elias broke their fleet, and I'd prefer not to be monster food." Nobody argued with me and so Elias returned to his Dragon body and everyone climbed on and found their place between the spikes. I tried to make it up myself but couldn't lift my leg very high. This lead to Elias curling around to help push me up with his snout. Once everyone was on and prepared he took off into the sky in search of a place to stay until we find something permanent.

He flew throughout the day and it seemed the longer I was flying the worse I felt. I felt like I was on fire and my bones were jelly while my breathing grew ever more strained. My struggle caught the attention of Snow in front of me and she twisted around to check on me. Her features blurred and mixed together into blobs of color and muffled sounds. I felt myself slide sideways but could do nothing to stop it or slow myself down and so I was soon hurtling towards the earth far below. The last thing I heard was Elias as he screamed through the howling winds rushing past my ears before I faded away into blackness.

"REINE!"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yet another chapter published! This was just a little filler chapter to add to the growing relationship between Elias and Reine with a bit of action happening at the ending to keep you all interested. I am very sorry if it isn't as eventful or eloquent like I usually am I'm still planning where I want this story to head off towards.

Vote, comment as you please, and don't forget to enjoy reading!

Stay crazy my little demons!

Love, Peace, and Chicken Grease!