Chapter 33

Elias p.o.v

Reine's hands shook as she glared down at the stiffening body of Ravenna staring lifelessly at the smooth rock ceiling. I slowly stepped towards her, the gun she held whirling towards me. I held up my hands so she knew I was no danger to her.

"Hey, love, it's just me. It's Elias, you can let go of the gun now. She's dead, you won." I took small steps towards her as I spoke until I could reach out and slide the weapon from her trembling hand. Once the heavy metal gun was gone she seemed to collapse forward in exhaustion and I jumped to catch her.

"I got you, love. You did well, you can get some sleep now." Reine relaxed into my chest and I knew she had passed out. Scooping her up to be carried like a bride or a princess, I make my way out of the cavern and up the wall to the flat ground above. I created wings and flew up to the top before turning and dangling my feet off the cliff edge, looking down at the vast crevice that cut deep into the earth like a wound. It all looked so lifeless and bland it's no wonder Ravenna liked it here.

"Mom always said earth was such a beautiful place. I see nothing here but death and misery."

"That's sad and everything but we have bigger issues than your hurt expectations." I rolled my eyes and turned my head to find the Black Pirate I brought along.

"What could be a bigger issue than a dying planet?" He pointed upwards into the sky, drawing my eyesight to follow his finger.

"How about that old dragon that tried to kill us earlier!" Sure enough, Absint's massive bulk was filling the skies as he closed in on us.

"I should've killed that worm the first time around. How is he even flying right now?" The Pirate gave me an exasperated look as he worked to find some form of a weapon.

"Why does that even matter?" I stood and turned towards him with a tilted head of confusion.

"I mean you saw the state of his wings he hasn't moved them in eons how does he have the strength to track us all the way from the Rocky Mountains here to the Grand Canyon? He's kind of breaking the laws of probability here." I handed the dumbfounded boy Reine for safekeeping as I spoke.

"It's a massive dragon older than god that can talk and spit fire but you're more worried about the probability of him flying?! You're a shapeshifting weirdo that can use magic who came from an island on a star how is this the one thing that blows your mind?!" I chuckle at his ranting before shifting into my dragon form and preparing for the upcoming fight that will no doubt occur.

"Just keep her alive, Pirate. I can still feed you to cannibals afterwards." The boy stuck out his tongue at me before moving to be just under the lip of the cliff. Once he was gone from sight I launched up into the air to meet Absint in the sky.

"You will pay for your family's sins, boy!" I bare my teeth with a loud growl.

"I don't have time to play with you, old man, so I'll make your death quick. Which is more than you deserve." I sent a ball of white fire at him before diving down and climbing straight up to drive my nose right into his chest since he was distracted with dissipating my flames. I felt a few bones give way under my assault, one of them I knew was a vital bone for the wings to work. I watched as he twirled to the dust like a wounded bird. Once he had landed I dropped swiftly down to a safer height before returning to my human form and dropping down towards his back. As I fell I used some magic to create a massive sword that would pierce deep and break through the protective bone around the chest.

Metal sliced into brittle scales that cracked like glass and cut far into the body of the old dragon. Just as the tip of the sword hit the thick bones I change into a dragon once more and slam down with all my strength on the jutting sword. A resounding crack echoed through the air and I knew I hit my target. I step back and watch his claw at the hilt trying to remove it but it was buried too deeply into his flesh for him to get out without injuring himself further.

"You cheating little bastard!"

"On behalf of every single one of your people who you let get slaughtered, I hope that Satan has prepared a ring of hell deep and painful enough for you to feel their pain for all eternity. May the High Ones bring judgement on you." I turned my back on the old dragon and shifted down to find Reine and the Pirate so we could find the others and get them all to safety. Maybe an island out there is free from this monstrosity of a reality.

"I may be dying now, but just know that I'll be waiting for you and your wretched family on the other side. I will have my revenge." A wicked smirk curled my lips as Absint growled out his vow to exact his justice. I turned and watched as the already dim fire in his eyes began to fade away.

"Then I guess it's a good thing we live where nothing gets old. Goodbye Absint the Unfit, may we never meet again in this life or the next." The huge old dragon breathed his last and was gone from this world, hopefully drug straight to hell by the souls he let die by human hands. The Black Pirate pokes his head out above the edge of the cliff to make sure everything had finished before clambering back up.

"That was over quicker than expected."

"I don't have time to be boring myself with the death of a banished king. I have a family to find and protect. Are you coming with me? You don't have to continue the whole protection part but I can take you back to the other side of the country if you wish it." The human tapped his chin in thought before smirking impishly.

"I think I'll stick around a little longer. This is turning into quite the adventure after all."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oh jeez, this is so late I'm so sorry! So many things have been going on from being distracted with family to working on getting Ivory Fangs and Ruby Red started to recently deciding on trying my hand at making a webcomic. It's been a mess and I hope you all can forgive my late, late, late.... late chapter.

Side note: if you know where the quote in the top picture is from, tell me what your favorite quote is! I'm curious to see how many people are just as nerdy as me!

Read, vote, and comment if you wish it!

Stay crazy my little demons!

Love, Peace, and Chicken Grease!