Chapter 8 - Unforeseen Attack

In the morning I yawn and lift my heavy head up from the pillow as far as I can remember I didn't have any nightmares which is a plus. I hear stuff clanging around in the kitchen, "Mally!" Skye shouts and I wince as her loud, cheery voice reaches my ears, "Bloody Mary before work!?"

I look at the time on my phone and realize I have an hour before I need to be there to open and prepare for my first tarot reading of the day; with a heavy sigh I get up and go out to the kitchen still in my long t-shirt. Skye's hair is curly past her shoulders now that it's free of her Viking braid, "how was the couch?" I ask and she laughs, "comfier than anything else I've slept on besides my own bed."

"If you ever need a place to sleep you are more than welcome to stay here."

"I appreciate that."

She turns setting two glasses on the island, they both have a large piece of celery in it; usually I hate bloody Mary's but the way she makes them are freaking amazing. I take a large pull and say, "you should seriously become a bartender."

"Ha, you're funny," she takes a drink, "like I said last night more money in being a dancer."

"I just worry about you Skye."

"I know you do and I appreciate that more than you'll ever know," she smiles, "so did you and Aaron get into a fight?" I shrug, "no, he just was worried I think but I'm not dumb enough to leave my place after smoking and drinking like we did." We stand at the island for a while finishing our drinks then I say, "I got to get ready for work Ky, you gonna be okay to drive home?"

"Oh yeah, hate to be the bearer of bad news but I've driven in worse conditions."

I start to walk away shaking my head, that doesn't surprise me, but I don't say anything to belittle her because it's her life all I can do is express my concerns and see where it goes from there. When I check my phone, I see that there's a message from Zak from like four hours ago; I wonder if Aaron told him what I was doing with Skye cause the message isn't that friendly and I scowl.

Z: You know how I feel about the things Skye does, why'd you indulge?

Me: I needed to mellow out brother; it was necessary

Z: Necessary? Why didn't you call the Father?

Rolling my eyes, I set my phone down and prepare for my workday; I'm still debating on working full time especially if he's going to act like that all the time when I have a bad lockdown. But then again, I enjoyed it even if it was a bit touch and go; I know Nick and Aaron seemed happy enough to have me on the team too, wonder if Billy feels the same way about it. Guess I'll have to ask him when we meet up to review the footage tonight after I get off work myself.

When I'd moved my business, I was lucky enough to have it closer to where we live so it only takes about twenty minutes instead of forty, so I don't have to rush to get ready; I have specific clothes I wear for work to give off that witchy whimsical feel to my clients. I have my regulars of course, older ladies with deceased husbands and the wealthy single women or married ones who have marital issues and seek guidance from people like me. As I start to collect myself for the days events with my best friend thumping around in the other part of my house, I turn on Fall Out Boy Essentials on apple music as I get ready; stripping out of my clothes I shower quickly then pull my hair up into a fast drying towel.

As that works its magic I throw on decent pair of underthings then dig into the back of my closet for work clothes today I don't feel like throwing too much into my look, so I grab a floor length black gown with a deep neckline that goes down between my breasts. There's Celtic patterns around the neckline that go all the way around and then I tie the pull cord cinching the material near my breasts; I'm definitely showing major cleavage today, but it doesn't bother me that much just makes me feel more confident in my own skin. As the dress swirls around my ankles, I dig through my jewelry box and pull out my black obsidian rosary necklace and toss it on, the metal in it is cool against the exposed skin of my chest. I could change after work before going to Zak's to review footage, but it just seems like too much work even now since I'm still low on energy from the last few days events.