Chapter 15 - Just be there for her

ZAK'S POV

Mallory and I were actually having a hallway decent conversation even if it was her apologizing profusely about what happened, what I didn't expect to happen next took me by surprise but luckily, I still had a hold of her when she started to convulse in my arms at the exact moment I hear Aaron shout through the walkie at my belt, "first cross is buried!"

Her convulsing hasn't slowed at all, there's spittle on her lips, the thing with people seizing or even convulsing is your supposed to keep their head up from choking on vomit if it happens or spit or even their tongue, "damn it!" I growl then look around the room with hard eyes, "you are not allowed in this house! You need to leave! By the power of God and the holy ghost I command you to leave!" My voice is harsh and full of ice, the room seems to absorb the words, the energy and Mallory's convulsions stop and I feel her body go slack in my arms but she's not awake or responsive.

"Second cross," Aaron's voice comes out through the walkie once more, Mallory is still against my chest, her body shaking from time to time as if reliving the convulsions but in a more subtle environment.

"I've got you little sister," I murmur then kiss the top of her head, "take my energy where you can Mallory, I'm not going anywhere; none of us are going anywhere until you are well again."

After Aaron alerts me that they are on the fourth and final cross Mallory begins to stir again, she moans as if in pain but when she jerks upright from my arms, I know she's going to be sick. I don't know where Sister Mary had put the bucket she used earlier so Mallory tries her best to aim for it in the dark where it lies somewhere on the floor. From what I can hear most of it makes it in the bucket then she curls up on the bed her back against my leg, she's shaking again so I move pulling the comforter up and over her. It smells of the sage and lavender that was burning almost all night, there's also a hint of the floral detergent she uses, "Zak," she moans and I put a hand on her shoulder in comfort.

"D – don't tell mom," she murmurs almost in a childlike voice, "please don't tell mom."

"She knows what we do Mal," I tell her, "she's going to find out sooner or later."

"How?" She asks, "I mean there's no reason for her to know."

I groan in annoyance, but I can see where she's also coming from, the less stress we put on our mom the less she has to worry about while we do our thing. Instead of arguing with her further I just let her lie there to regain her strength. We don't need to be expending more of her energy when she should be recovering. After a few minutes have gone by there's a knock at the door and I debate whether to get up to allow whoever it is, assuming the Father and Sister, into the room but at the same time I don't want to leave Mallory lying here in case she goes into another fit.

"Get the door Zak," she grunts sleepily, "I feel – feel fine right now."

By the time I get up and cross the room Mallory's breathing grows faint in sleep I think, I hope this is a good sign for not only her, but for all of us right now. As expected, Father Brian and Sister Mary are at the door with Aaron on their heels, they too look exhausted and out of sorts but triumphant in their work here today.

"It's all done Zak," Father says, "the house has been cleansed, blessed and the crosses buried in all four corners of your sister's property."

"You have no idea how much this means to me," I tell him, "I – I don't know what I'd have done if I'd have lost her to whatever that thing was."

The two of them come in to look over Mallory, Sister Mary pulls out a flashlight skirting the beam of light around while avoiding my sister's sleeping face directly. She notices the newest pile of sick and looks over at me, "when did that happen?" I hesitate for a moment thinking about it, "uh I believe it was right as Aaron told me the last cross on the property was buried."