Chapter 16 - Feels like a hangover

"ZAK!!"

The shout rouses me from my sleep, I blink blearily before sitting up with a yawn.

"ZAK WHERE ARE YOU MAN!"

This time the shout makes me more aware of my surroundings, I hustle up from the bed stumbling slightly since I'm not used to sleeping in the guest room of my sister's house and toss on my pants forgoing a shirt at least for now. Aaron is no longer on the couch, but crying can be heard from down the hall and I realize then that Mallory is probably awake at least for the moment. Without missing another beat I rush down the hall my bare feet slapping against the wood floor to find Aaron sitting on the edge of the bed, the crying now in the bathroom followed by heavy retching, "what happened?" I ask breathlessly.

"She uh was screaming," Aaron says holding back a yawn, "it woke me up, I'd forgotten about falling asleep here. I came in to find her dry heaving first on the bed followed by more crying, I started shouting for you when I couldn't calm her."

"Lockdown hangover or something from last night."

"Possibly but from what I could understand," he holds up a rather large plastic bottle, "she took a drink then it all started."

I remembered what Father and the Sister had said and sigh heavily, this is going to be a long road that's for sure.

"What is it dude?"

"That bottle," I gesture to it with a hand, "is full of holy water. It's not lockdown hangover." Aaron eyes the bottle, "oh shit," his eyes then avert to the bathroom where the retching has finally stopped, "what does that mean?"

"Could mean nothing, could mean something," I admit, "Sister Mary said that she should drink from it until she can swallow the liquid without issue then she's in the clear."

There's no more sound coming from the bathroom, I'm still in just my jeans, but Aaron is still in yesterday's clothes and I think it'd be weird if I checked on her this way so he sets the bottle back down on the nightstand and goes to the bathroom knocking on the door gently.

"Maleficent?" No response so he knocks a little harder. "Mal you okay in there?"

When there's no response a second time, I start to panic however Aaron pulls on the handle and to my surprise it's unlocked; I wonder if she did it involuntarily just in case something more happened besides vomiting. He doesn't shout for me to come in for something drastic however after a few minutes he emerges with Mal curled up in his arms, her head tucked under his chin, "she fell asleep against the toilet," he whispers, "you weren't kidding dude, this is going to be a long road."

"That's why she needs all the support she can get."

-----

MALLORY'S POV

In the moment when awareness came around at some point my mouth felt so dry that my tongue was sticking to the roof of my mouth; deep in my foggy brain I remember someone setting a bottle of water on the nightstand to my left so with slow movements I grab the bottle and uncap it. I get a good mouthful but just as I start to swallow, the liquid beginning to trickle down my throat it comes right back up in a spray spattering over my sheets and clothes. There's a sickly cloying smell in the air like cleaning supplies mixed with sick and in that moment, I felt I was going to be just that, so I wrench myself up from bed setting the bottle wabbling on the nightstand. Within two steps from the bed I trip over my own two feet with a loud thud then I'm up again racing for the bathroom closing the door behind me.

My body starts to heave just as I lift the lid, a small amount of bile comes up once, but after that it's nothing but dry heaves which makes my whole body hurt especially my stomach muscles; I haven't felt this sick since I was a little kid. Well that's a lie I've had my fair share of sick after heavy drinking or whatever, but this feels a lot worse than that. After the dry heaving has subsided, I can hear muffled voices outside the bathroom, but I can't make out what they're saying. Did Zak stay here? Did the other guys? I can't think too clearly right now, my head lolls to the side resting on the edge of the toilet seat, the porcelain of the bowl is cold against my already chilled skin and I shiver.