Chapter 9 - Why me?

The first thing I can register when the darkness starts to release its hold on me is a constant beeping, followed by voices which are trying to be subtle but are loud regardless, "did she exhibit any signs before today?" An unfamiliar voice asks followed by, "not that we were aware of, I mean she had a nightmare on the plane ride home, but other than that she was fine."

"Was anyone home with her last night?" The unfamiliar voice asks and I hear Skye's soft voice, "I was, we – we had a few drinks and well she had a few hits off my marijuana pipe. Other than that, she was fine, normal even."

"Did you find out what caused this?" The first voice asks and I believe to make it out that it's Aaron, "I mean she was coherent on the phone when she called me, panicky maybe, but seemed fine until she stopped talking."

"I'm not totally sure, but we're doing what we can. Does she have family?"

"Yes, I have called her brother, Zak Bagans, already," Aaron admits, "he'll be here in about twenty minutes."

I groan the sound louder than I expected, Zak coming here is the last thing I want right now; I realize then that there's an oxygen tube under my nose when I reach for it the door opens fully to reveal Skye, Aaron and an unfamiliar doctor looking at me with wide eyes.

"How are you feeling Miss Bagans?" The doctor asks and I shrug, "I think like my normal self."

"What do you remember?"

"I – well," I sigh heavily, "I'd gone to work, had a few scheduled clients to see and I went in the back to get my cards. I felt like something was wrong, the back room was so cold and my scalped prickled like I was being watched and you might not believe this but when I reached for my tarot cards something electric seemed to zap me." I look to Aaron and Skye then wail in panic, "oh my God my clients!"

Skye puts a hand on my shoulder after moving closer, "don't worry," she murmurs, "Aaron and I took care of that for you, they all understood that you had a medical emergency." I start to feel sick to my stomach then, I hardly ever close the shop to clients, I think the doctor notices because he gently pushes Skye back and grabs a pink colored tray pressing it under my chin just as I vomit violently into it. Most of the sick lands in it but some dribbles down my chin and he wipes it away with a cloth from inside his jacket, "we'll be keeping you for a bit."

"How long have I been here already?" I ask and he says, "just three hours. We weren't sure how to handle it because your vitals were all normal, however we did find some chest bruising when we gowned you."

I lift my shaky hand after he removes the vomit filled tray and tap my ribs which causes me to wince then lift the gown not caring that I don't have any undergarments on my upper body. There are indeed several bruises almost the size of rather large hands and I frown, they're already turning purple, "I do remember something else," I admit and the three of them look at me, "right before I fainted I – I felt as if someone or something had taken a solid hold on my lungs and squeezed the air right out of them."

"That might explain that episode," the doctor says, "Mr. Goodwin tells me that you work with the team on a paranormal show?" I nod, "I'm not a dead hard believer, but maybe something that could have caused it."

"Attachment," Aaron breathes which I barely hear over the beeping, "I will do my rounds and see to you again after dinner Miss Bagans."

Once the doctor is gone and he closes the door behind him Skye comes back to the bed and sits on the edge of it, she rests a hand on my own; I look at her and smile faintly. She tries to smile back but struggles for a long moment then continues to frown, "don't be sad Ky," I murmur, "I'm still here."