Priorities

It was what they were all thinking, but what they had all refused to acknowledge that she had said, and she was right.

If the universes did indeed overlap, and a burst of energy could cause a transfer of matter, then her point wasn't a stretch or a reach, it was a fact.

The monsters must have come from somewhere, and anyone with common sense could have deduced that. As such, her conclusion was that they had crossed over the exact same way, and perhaps with the exact same method that they were planning on using.

As such, the place that they were going would be infinitely more dangerous than the small bit of water prison they were stowed away on.

She was especially against the idea seeing as they would be going to the ocean where a plethora of problems could occur, even without the monsters.

It would get worse though, as they were most likely planning on going to the epicenter of the disaster.

They would be subjecting themselves to a confined space with the unknown, she'd need some convincing.

"I understand h-how you feel Cali... b-but this is our best chance a-at surviving... Just within the time w-we've been here... I've picked u-up t-t....t-t-t...?" He was stuttering, but everyone could tell it was for a different reason than usual.

"Hair for brains...?" August nudged him with his leg.

"In the time we've been here... I've detected five hundre-.... Si-.... Eigh-... we need to leave... now..." The small man began to shake.

They'd all freeze for a few seconds at the revelation, surely he was mistaken, well, at least one of them believed him, he had his own reasons for maintaining silence though.

"How many more in the last few seconds...?" He stooped down to the small man, held still by fear and disbelief.

"I-I've never encountered a metric I c-c-c-c-c-c-c—"

"Calm down... how many?" August rested a hand on his shoulder.

"T-the influx of anomalous life forms... t-t-they... they broke my scales..." The look in eyes wasn't that of fear, but one of utter disbelief.

"I see..." August removed his hand as he looked to the ground, sighing, what was he thinking, I wonder. "Get the hell up! All of you! We need to move... now!"

A stark change, though they still wouldn't hesitate to listen to the shell of a man, he was their only hope after all.

In that moment, all of their feelings and intentions could have been easily summed up, to leave his side, was suicide.

So, even as scared as they all were, of the water and the monsters, they moved.

It would seem that even Cali had been convinced as she didn't hesitate to follow his words. She would still voice her concerns as they climbed back to street level though, and they expected as much.

"August... do you think you'll be able to contain that much energy... for so long...? Can you even do that...? Will... you be ok...?" He could hear her heartbeat, and it was rising.

"One... I don't know, but I'll try. Two, same answer... and three... I don't mind dying if it means saving May..." He had failed to calm her, as her heart would keep up its shenanigans.

"I... I understand..." It would fall? He was successful.

"And Cali... promise me something..." He wasn't quite able to maintain eye contact with her as he spoke.

"What...?" That behavior wasn't something she saw often, and it wasn't something she liked.

"This is... a weird request... and I know everyone can hear me... but I don't care... You and May are my first priorities... me in second... and the midget in third..." He'd feel a slight hit on his leg, but it was inconsequential. "Promise me... If there ever comes a time that I can't protect you two... take May... and run like hell..." It seemed more like a premonition than anything else.

Beyond Infinity: The Convergenceजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें