An Abstract Reality

There was a conversation to be had, and it would happen, even as they floated thousands of meters above a lava filled pit.

The danger would soon be subsided though, as the ocean would return to its domain, crashing against itself and refilling the space that had been opened up.

The conversation would have to wait even then as the spectators were lagging behind by a few minutes. They stared at the two authors of Fate with dull yet wide eyes, trying their best yet failing to comprehend what they had seen.

To tell them there was more then, would have been evil, truly the act of a sadist. So, the conversation would have to be rescheduled as the affected had taken too long to catch up to the events. And the eldritch horrors cared not for their time nor their lives.

"I'm glad I got another chance to see you people before you entered the Abstract... but since your mental facualties seem a bit worse for wares, I'll make it brief... pick a direction, and go, remember... you're headed for the 'mainland'... you can even think of it as your salvation... just don't forget where you're going... pick a direction and go... never... and I mean never... turn back... you can 'go' back... but don't 'turn' back... Sonata..." The Stranger would stand up, looking to the sky from within the box.

They were a few hundred feet below the sea, but even there they'd hear it, whistles. There was one at first, then there was another, and another, and another, and another. They would eventually come into view, streaks of fire barreling across the sky, distorted by the raging ocean.

"You're really going to send them there...!? People!? Living... people...!? Can't we just give 'them' what they want... we're halfway there anyway...? Aren't we...? Can't we just be done...? How much longer...? How much... longer...?" The eyes of the small child seemed to glimpse the falling flames for a moment, but she looked away.

"We are halfway there, but didn't you say you wanted to live? What do you think they'll do to us? Hm...? How many years has it been... even just between us and our broken perception of time... you think they'll forget all that time we 'locked' them away...? I don't...? The monster didn't reason with me, it can speak, and yet it said noting when I looked it in the eyes... all those things want from us is our lives... because separating form 'her' means our deaths anyway... but, you're just as important as I am... so what will it be... I'm not the aspect that meddles with realities... so it's your call anyway..." The stranger would look down at the tired child.

Her eyes welled up as if to cry, but then they relaxed as she looked away from him.

"You always do this.... Why couldn't you just decide?" The child, as disinterested as she seemed, looked over at the four she was yet to send on their journey. "Do you remember what you've been told...?" She raised her hand in their direction, though the box was so small she was basically touching them.

They'd pull away from her, though there wasn't far to go.

"Answer me...!" The child grit her teeth as the box shrunk and they pulled even closer to her. "well...?"

"P-pick a direction a-and go was it...?" Bob, even as mad as he thought himself, fumbled a response.

"Yes..." She waved her hand as if to shew the four victims, and it was done.

The space behind the four would let out a crack as if glass had broken, and by the time they realized what was happening, the fracture of light was spreading.

It was too late for their questions, and when they came to it, reality shattered behind them falling in on itself to reveal their otherworldly destination.

And so, before they could even speak, the rift passed over them and they were sat in grass, if it could have been called that.

They'd freeze for a moment as they looked through the broken fragment of creation. They were looking into the ocean, yet they were basking in crimson lights, it was a joke, it had to be.