Goodbye

The golden streaks of energy would complement August's arrival as he burst into the open space above the moon pool. A warm light would radiate from him as he reunited with his other half.

The scene it lit was not a bright one though. As, there she was, the love of his life, leant up against the cold metal walls, covered in blood, eyes empty, and no heartbeat.

They were hunched over in front of her, May and Bob, they weren't crying, but they were gone too, though not dead.

As the caricature of a man landed, he'd understand immediately. In fact, he already knew. He dropped the refugees, and approaching the woman, he didn't even check on his sister. The two did move out of his way still, far out of his way.

He'd pull her into his arms, and though she was already halfway past the gates, he knew that there must have been something he could do that time, or so he hoped at least.

"I can save her this time... right...?" His voice sounded within his head, to no response, for a while at least.

"We can't bring back the dead... you know this..." Perhaps she should have stayed quiet.

"But I—" August wouldn't be given the chance.

"No! No..." The voice echoing in his head, stood its ground.

"Useless..." His last thought.

The woman, as cold as she was, seemed to have a little bit of life left within her, and with that dieing spark, she reached out a hand and placed it against August's face.

"Its... you... I... I kept my promise..." Her voice was subtle, a whisper really, but he heard her.

"I'm sorry...!" His eyes would well up with blood, and he wanted to maintain his composure, he really did. "I'm so...so... sorry...!" He squeezed her, though that made her no warmer, that, that caused the 'tears' to flow.

He would have wiped his tears himself, but the woman seemed to get heavier in his arms. She'd wipe them for him, or she tried to at least.

"... I... I remember now... and I still... I still... love you..." Her hand fell from his face, and by the time it hit the ground, what was left of her, was gone.

Cali was one of the few, or rather, one of the two factors that kept August sane after his mind fractured under 'her' weight, and as such, he was halfway to true insanity.

The beautiful crimson that filled his eyes melted away as they became fountains of blood, and his eye color began to fade into a vibrant gold.

"This... this wasn't the deal we made...! And you knew this would happen... you need to get a grip... or she won't be the only one that dies...!" The illusive woman's voice returned to warn him within his mind, but maybe he wouldn't listen.

"I... I know..." He wiped his tears himself, closing his eyes, and when they next opened, they had returned to crimson form. He had listened.

August lowered Cali's body to the ground, and closing her eyes, he rested a hand on her chest. They couldn't bury her, there was nowhere they could, so he'd cremate her.

It being the only option didn't make it any better though, as his hand would begin to tremble, and even as he used the other to hold it steady, he couldn't bring himself to do it.

They'd all watch him, though they were all too afraid to approach, all except May. She was afraid to approach, but she wasn't afraid, no, there was another emotion, one worse. As for Bob, he was afraid, he was useless and it was his fault, so he thought.

August would build up his resolve, and after a few deep breaths, a golden flame let out from his hand. It wasn't a normal flame, and they could all see that. It burned through her as if she was paper, and by the end of it, there were no ashes.