In Sheep's Clothing

He did not want to assume ill will of another person, or even rescind their humanity of his own speculation, not a person he knew, and especially not in the predicament they were in, but Bob retreated alongside Cali.

He couldn't help but exercise his gut feeling, he wasn't the same, Jack, and he couldn't bring himself to trust his sensors, especially not after they had broken once before, and who's to say they were fixed.

It took no time for them to realize the situation that they were in still, even as tired and bewildered as they were.

And so, from behind his person, Bob heard a quick and smooth mechanical click, open and eject, the stone floor seeming to break behind him.

He knew what it was, and he wouldn't hesitate to help her. They had May, and while they were fine with dying, and to some degree had made peace with it, if she died, August would traverse hell to find them.

So, knowing this fact, perhaps they only lived that long because of their altruistic motivations, and so, maybe they'd live a little longer.

The man stopped his approach, lifting his hands in compliance, maybe they were a bit too brash, but they had the right spirit.

"Woah...!" He backed away, feigning cowardice. "I only wanted to get closer seeing as it's so dark..." He lowered his hands, awaiting a response.

"Oh... haha... w-we might be a little on edge... it's been quite t-the interesting day after all...ha..." Bob sought a resolution, one without violence.

"Right... so tell me what happened...?" He'd begin moving around the place as if he had been continuing his work.

"W-well... from what I observed, a s-surge of energy passed over the i-island when a set of strange m-masses caused explosions e-everywhere... ever s-since then—..." Bob hesitated to finish the absurd sentence he was about to say, but there was more than just his anxiety at play.

The Jack he was talking to— then in motion— unchained one of the half corpses form one of the tables, and hauling it across the floor he opened one of the 'empty' cells.

He would toss the thing inside, and whistling, the sound of a pack of hounds spawned from the room's uneasy silence.

The corpse would then slowly shrink as the sound of clashing teeth echoed, the areas of concern having bite marks the size of heads.

It would disappear in seconds, most of it anyway, the only things being left, hands, a pair of hands, bones and organs.

The things didn't seem to like the boney masses, or spongy innards. Thus, the three survivors had seen the events play out before their eyes, so what were they supposed to do.

Jack didn't close the cell either, he left it open as he went for another body, stopping as Bob had stopped speaking.

"Ever since then— what...?" Jack looked at him, or rather, that's what the direction of the helmet implied.

"What are you doing...?" Cali spoke, her voice stern and her face barely looking in the thing's direction, gut bubbling, mind aflutter.

She had also spoken for the other two that had forgotten language all together. They struggled to even breathe.

"What do you mean...?" He looked at the corpse as he slowly lowered it, and then back at her. "Oh, this... don't mind me... this is just... ahhh-" The creature's experienced knowledge of human 'normalcy' had failed it, and it realized that, everyone did.

It would free the body from its grasp, moist, slimy movements reverberating from within its suit, alongside mumbles, plural.

Cali rested a hand on Bob's shoulder as she resumed her retreat, moving to one of the corners of the room, bringing him along with her.