Chapter 38

Sakuya's P. O. V:

The next morning, I stand in a training ground near the outskirts of the village with my bag packed since I might not be able to return home after training. I'd asked Sakura to look after the animals for me.

This training ground has trees and even a lake. It was sunrise. I dump my bag by a tree and lean against it while I wait for my Sensei to show up.

"Good, you're here on time, Sakuya," Says Okami as he Body Flickers behind me. I whip around to him.

"Right on sunrise," I say as Homura meows. He smiles.

"Excellent. Let's get started with your training, shall we? I'll begin by teaching you the Dancing Petals Jutsu," Says Okami.

I perk up at this as I say, "Really?!" He nods. ""Sanna was really good with that Jutsu in the preliminaries," I say, facing my Sensei. He nods.

"Yes. Just hold your hands out and focus, forming the petals swirling around your target. Like so: Petal Release: Dancing Petals Jutsu..." Okami holds out his hands and petals form a sphere around an invisible opponent. Then they swirl rapidly and I watch in awe. The Jutsu soon dies down and Okami turns to me. "You try."

I nod my head and step forward, Homura sitting in her neko form as she watches me. I do the correct hand signs before I hold out my hands.

"Petal Release: Dancing Petals Jutsu," I say and focus. I imagine the cherry blossom petals forming and a few of them do, and swirl slowly, but then they drop to the floor. I pout as I slump my arms.

"You'll get it. Just take your time, Sakuya," Okami encourages.

I nod and take a deep breath before I repeat my actions. The same amount of petals form and collapse after a minute or two.

I keep practising with this Jutsu for the rest of the day.

When Okami, Homura and I eat dinner, I ask, sitting against the Sabertooth, "Hey, Okami, do you think mum and dad will be here to watch me compete in the finals?"

"... I don't know, Princess. They're very busy back in the Land of Blossoms," He responds.

"Oh," I mutter, looking down into the flickering flames.

As I curl up to go to sleep with Homura in her neko form and Okami sleeping beside us, I silently pray my parents will come for the Finals.

                        🌸🌸🌸

The following morning, I get up at sunrise once again and immediately work on the forming the Dancing Petals Jutsu. Okami was awake and watching from his position while leaning against a tree with his arms crossed, and Homura is practising her two Fire Style Jutsus nearby.

I manage form a few more petals by lunchtime.

Okami calls, a smile on his voice, "That's good work, Sakuya! Take a lunch break."

I nod and cancel the Jutsu before I take out my and Homura's lunches under a tree.

Okami tells me as we eat, "You're improving quickly with the Dancing Petals Jutsu. If you keep this up, you might master it in a week."

"That would be great!" I say. We finish lunch and I read a book I'd brought with me for half an hour before Okami resumes our training session.

I spend the next few days perfecting the Dancing Petals Jutsu.

🌸🌸🌸

By day six of training, I have a perfectly formed sphere of violently swirling cherry blossom petals around an invisible target, beads of sweat on my face since I'd been up and training since sunrise.